Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started getting the P0008 code. I got 130,000 miles out of it before it started setting that code,though. On startup,it doesn't make near the noise as the SRX on youtube, so I guess it's not critical yet.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it my imagination or does the transmission shift funky with this code set? It also has an all around loss of power it seems.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Is yours a V6? I am no mechanic and don't have a code reader. IF YOU HAVE THE 3.6L V6 SRX THIS MAY HELP YOU.

Some with this engine have had issues, sometimes premature, with stretched timing chains or cam actuator issues.
Either do a search on this forum for "P0008 code" or "timing chains." There is a ton of info. available here on the forum. Or......you may have to cut and paste the link below.

http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0008_cadillac.html

" P0008 CADILLAC DescriptionThe Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the position of both camshafts and the crankshaft. The ECM performs a test for misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. During the test the ECM learns the position of the camshafts and the crankshaft. While the engine is idling, the ECM compares the position of both the camshafts and the crankshaft with the learned value. The ECM will set the P0008 code if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.

Symptoms-
Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Possible Causes- Engine mechanical problems
- Incorrect timing chain
- Stretched timing chain
- Failed camshaft actuator or actuator solenoid

When is the code detected?The ECM detects that both camshafts on either bank of the engine are mis-aligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds or a cumulative of 50 seconds.Tech NotesThere is a factory service bulletin for the following Cadillac models:

2004-2008 Cadillac CTS SRX
2005-2008 Cadillac STS

The service bulletin suggest replacing the primary drive and both secondary drive timing chains. Contact your Cadillac dealer for more information. The repair could still be cover under factory warranty.Need more help?"

In answer to your questions, you may be experiencing a misfire, not a transmission issue. And it could explain your loss of power.

PJ

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some info but haven't read if it goes into a limp home mode or why the diminished performance is present while the CEL is on.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>In answer to your questions, you may be experiencing a misfire, not a transmission issue. And it could explain your loss of power.

A misfire would surely set a code, right? This is the fourth time P0008 has popped up in two months and each time the cel is on I have diminished performance and the tranny shifts a lot on hills, much more than it should shift imo. But after we clear the code, the bad performance and poor shifting goes away. I figured it was a limp home mode or something.

I don't know how long I should be putting this off. The chain makes a bit of noise on start up, but I've heard a LOT worse.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
I don't know how long I should be putting this off. The chain makes a bit of noise on start up, but I've heard a LOT worse.
It's either pay now or pay later. What you need to consider is the possibility that the timing chain fails and takes other things with it like the cylinder head or block. Unless you have knowledge that the deal of the millennium on timing chain repairs is coming in the very near future, you don't really have anything to gain by waiting and it may cost you more to wait.

Bill

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's either pay now or pay later. What you need to consider is the possibility that the timing chain fails and takes other things with it like the cylinder head or block. Unless you have knowledge that the deal of the millennium on timing chain repairs is coming in the very near future, you don't really have anything to gain by waiting and it may cost you more to wait.

Bill
Happened to me once, just once, and you are right......more damage and far more in cost to repair. In my case it was back a few decades when GM was using a fiber (plastic) timing gear. It just suddenly let go with no warning. The engine was a mess. YOU have a warning. Take advantage of it!!!

PJ

·
Registered
02 SLS, 08 SRX
41 Posts
Is this a one time repair of the chains or gears? Or will they need replacement again after 120K for example?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have not been on this forum as long as a lot of folks; but when I was trying to decide V6 or Northstar, I read most of the threads about timing chain stretch with the V6.

There are those that have had the chains replaced more than once and then the other extreme, those that have never experienced the V6 stretched timing chain issue. There is a thread with a title like "How many miles do you have on your SRX?" You may want to do a forum search and read it. High mileage guys (over 100K miles) have posted there.

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX
50 Posts
130 k on my 04 N* and on stock chain. Knock on wood. Every option available and I did not know I going to love this car when bought it for the wife.

Good luck on the P0008.

·
Registered
Cadillac
82 Posts
The P0008 is the timing chain issue. Period.

Can I join your club? My 2005 w/ 110,000 has had a noisy timing chain for about the last year and just threw the P0008 code for the first time last week. I plan to tear it down this weekend, order the parts, and rebuild it the following weekend.

Hooray for club P0008!

·
Registered
27 Posts
194k miles. 07 sts. I just got the p0008 amd p0017 codes. Slight rattle on startup. Remember p0008 is a misalignment between the crank and BOTH cams on EITHER bank of the engine. The p0017 serves only to let me know which bank. Replacing all sensors ocv plugs coils water pump chains gears tensioners and guides this week. Oh. And I threw in drilled and slotted rotors to my order with new ceramic pads just to be sure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts