Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I know this is old, I bought a 08 CTS 4 about a year ago, and my check engine light came on, so the auto class at my school checked it and it came back P0008, I now this can be related to the timing chain issue, but what I've read that code can mean about 4 different things, most fortunately most had this fixed under warranty, I guess what I'm asking is how can I get this properly diagnosed so I don't end up paying for a timing chain, if I don't need it. It doesn't knock or tick. The car loses power when the light is on, like a noticeable amount, it sometimes goes off for a day and runs fine.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
First thing is confirm the oil level since oil pressure is critical to operation of the variable valve timing. I believe P0008 can also be triggered by problems with crankshaft position sensor, another known issue. I'm not sure there's an easy way (i.e. short of pulling the front off the engine to physically inspect) for home mechanic to diagnose this fully so I'd take it to a dealer as 1) they have test/scan tool that can help narrow it down and 2) my understanding is an '08 timing chain problem should be covered by a special 10 year/120K warranty GM added after the problems became apparent. How many miles on your CTS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was very helpful, thank you, looks like I'll take it to the dealer and hope there is an extended warranty, thanks again

----------

So even if I bought it used the warrant is still extended?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,086 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, yes. Your dealer should (should) take care of you.

12,816 Posts
Hi Lenz219,

I’m glad to see that you’ve been able to get some feedback from other forum members. I know an issue like this can be frustrating and, if you would like, I’d be happy to run your VIN in our system to check for the special coverage. Once I can confirm that the special coverage is associated with your CTS, I can provide you with its parameters. If you are interested, please PM me with your VIN and mileage.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2008 STS
34 Posts
Call 1-800-458-8006 with your VIN#. I haven't read anything that shows coverage for a 2005 CTS, but I haven't been looking for that model.

When I called the Cadillac number above, the folks were great to deal with. My 2008 STS goes in for the treatment Tuesday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts