Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I went to the dealer to get my car checked out because the light went on. My car was driving fine and as soon as the light went on the intake sounded louder and car had like no power. When they scanned it they said it was P0008 I believe and was the timing chains. Once they cleared the code and turned light off car drives absolutely fine. Does this sound right to you??

Also if I do have to replace the timing chains/guides does anyone know what kits I should go with? Also is it possible for it to be the crank sensor and not the chains?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
There is a recall for this I believe, or at the very least a special warranty. Your dealer, bless his everlasting lazy, no good heart, should have looked this information up for you and talked with you about it. You could be facing a failure. Do a search here for that code and get an education. And maybe find a new dealer.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Extended warranty is to 120k miles for 2008's and early 2009's. How many miles on yours?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Extended warranty is to 120k miles for 2008's and early 2009's. How many miles on yours?

146k. They told me about the recall but said I was past warranty. I then questioned why they never did it before. I have had the car there before I hit 120k miles and they never did anything with it. They told me to call the Cadillac service number.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Its not a recalll, its extended warranty so they wouldn't do anything unless there was a failure. There WAS a previous recall related to this issue. That recall simply re-programmed the computer (Drivers Info Center) to shorten the oil life. The main reason for the shortened oil life was because our 3.6L engines burn oil by design (nothing necessarily wrong) and over the course of the full oil life, the oil level dropped too low for drivers who don't check regularly and add as needed.

Anyway, I would check to make sure that the original recall work was performed. If not maybe there is some liability there for Caddie and/or the dealership.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
While I feel your pain, if you search the forum you'll see 146K without a P0008 isn't bad. Unlike many engines with timing belts, it appears the factory doesn't really specify routine inspection/maintenance/replacement for the timing chains, just check your oil frequently, listen for funky noises and otherwise go until there's a problem (like P0008). Not sure about your situation, whether it makes sense just to keep driving fingers crossed, if the timing slips could grenade the engine. But I'd also feel apprehensive about spending a bunch of money digging deeply into a 146K engine/drivetrain, could be Pandora's box. I've typically bought new and drive my vehicles a long time (ex: 15 years), and it's usually it's getting nickeled&dimed on all the little stuff dying of old age, rather than the drivetrain, that spells the end. But you've got a lot of miles in not many years, if the car is otherwise solid could be worth spending some money.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this, let me know what you think...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-STS-SRX-Timing-Chain-Kit-GM-Certified-NEW-General-Motors-Parts-/271062651582?fits=Make:Cadillac|Model:CTS

Yeah my car is SOLID! has no rust at all. It has the under coatings and interior is basically like new besides the drivers seat. I had to replace my ecm box but besides that my little hot lava cts is still kicking. This timing code sucks though. I wondering if i buy the kit if the dealer will just put it in. What do you thing?

Anyone know the book time for the repair?

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
...there's a fellow on youtube who did it himself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4k08gVZK0

...at the beginning of the video he shows a dealer quote for $2K, not sure if that includes the parts.

$300 bucks for the parts would be the least of my worries. The issue is a) this is a difficult repair, lots of opportunities to make mistakes, need a pro mechanic you trust, ideally one who has done this a few times and b) once you pop the lid, what are the chances there are other issues that are/might be problematic and must (or should) be addressed? - cams, valves, pistons, not to mention rest of drivetrain, transmission, rear-end. Hate to spend thousands on timing chain repair and a) keep taking it back 'cause they can't get it right and/or b) something else breaks a week later. Might be worth doing some inspection/test to help decide if the rest of the engine still has legs. No funny top-/bottom-end noises, compression/leakdown, pop cam covers (or use pinhole camera) take a look.

In your specific case, because a) you put lots of miles in few years and b) you like the car and it seems 'solid' maybe this is one of those situations where a new/rebuilt/used engine (maybe $4K/$2K/$1K) might make sense? Not sure of the labor charge to swap engine, but might not be much more. Could be looking at a scenario of spending ex: $2K for new chains on an old motor vs. ex: $4-5K? for rebuilt/low-mile-used motor with some kind of warranty.

PS: Just curious, I'd like to ask if you don't mind. How would you characterize your oil check/change regime over 146K miles? Do you know if your CTS burned a lot of oil? Did you check often, have to top off? Did you go by the displayed 'Oil Life' percent? Or just change your oil fixed schedule ex: every 3/4/5K miles or 1/2/3 months (at ex: 2K miles/month)?

Good luck to you!

12,778 Posts
146k. They told me about the recall but said I was past warranty. I then questioned why they never did it before. I have had the car there before I hit 120k miles and they never did anything with it. They told me to call the Cadillac service number.
Hello Xtant12,

I apologize for any miscommunication or confusion. Recalls never expire and can be performed regardless of your warranty status. I would be happy to scan your VIN for any outstanding recalls and clear up any confusion. If you would like, please send me a private message with your VIN.

Kindest Regards,

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the environmental oil from walmart. The Mobile1 high mileage one. I change it at about 4500 like clock work. Car does not burn oil that I have noticed. And if it does its very little. I change the oil myself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hello all. does this sound right? My light went off and the car is running very well. I have put almost 300 miles on it and so far nothing.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
...yes, if enough drive time/ignition cycles pass without it occurring again the DTC is cancelled. You can just keep driving, see if it happens again or gets more frequent, listen for funny noises in the chaincase. Only jeopardy is catastrophic failure, but with 146K on the engine maybe just drive it and hope for the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts