Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DHS; Galaxy Silver 252k
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
Today outside is wonderful weather so I'm going to flush and change my PSW fluid. It is time for.
The only question how do you catch fluid out of returning hose? It is so short hose!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Re: Steering wheel fluid change

No such thing as "Steering wheel fluid". I'm gonna edit your title for you.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,289 Posts
Re: Steering wheel fluid change

No such thing as "Steering wheel fluid". I'm gonna edit your title for you.
------------------------------:lies: - next you will claim
you DON'T need to grease MUFFLER BEARINGS - :histeric:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very very bad DIYer. I let steering pump to be dry with engine on.. lots of air inside now... I'm f*cked... Now I can hear horrible noise and whole fluid became somewhat milky white.. full of bubles.. SOS! What should I do?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
I'm very very bad DIYer. I let steering pump to be dry with engine on.. lots of air inside now... I'm f*cked... Now I can hear horrible noise and whole fluid became somewhat milky white.. full of bubles.. SOS! What should I do?
Whoa. Take a deep breath or two and r-e-l-a-x.

Next, get yourself to an aftermarket parts store and purchase a container of Valvoline power steering fluid. One quart is more than enough.

Also stop in a grocery store and purchase a turkey baster. And ask them for some used cardboard shipping boxes.

At home, park each of your front wheels on two pieces of cardboard. Engine OFF, fill the power steering reservoir with the fluid you purchased being sure to observe the proper fluid level on the dipstick that is part of the cap.

Start the engine and at engine idle engine speed, slowly turn the steering wheel from full left to full right at least ten times. Check power steering fluid level; if necessary add more fluid.

If you see bubbles in the fluid repeat the steering wheel from full left to full right ten times.

Your fresh power steering fluid will probably take on a dark coloration. If so, use your new turkey baster to remove as much fluid as possible and repeat all the steps starting from "At home,".

Dispose of the fluid you removed in a safe manner such as taking it to the parts store and recycling through their used oil container.

Your last step would be to locate the leak that caused the power steering fluid to be low in the first place.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. I don't have a leak - I tried to do my first PS fluid flush/refiling. Mine was green.
2. As soon as I start the engine I can hear horrible grinder noise from PS pump (I guess, because the noise by the cap). I shut down engine right the way.
3. I tried to do wheel turns and had numerous amount of bubbles.. Did about 50 turns and bubbles never end...
4. I certainly need bleed PS system - the only true way to get rid off air
5. I read my manual and it says I need pressure gun and cup... Ordered gun today with delivery for tomorrow. Suction cup will do myself. I'm not going to pay $70 for rubber piece.
6. I'm still panicking.
7. I'm so stressed! :bonkers: Very scary noise comes out of pump! :hide:

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Not sure about the suction method you mention, but normally older manufacturer procedure is to lift the front wheels and turn the steering lock to lock several times, ENGINE OFF - to prevent initial cavitation and air injestion.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
710 Posts
Suction method is the way to go. I just changed my Charger doing it 14oz at a time with a turkey baster. I only did 3 locks left to right maybe the 10 is because your system has air in it. It is essentially replacement through dilution. Get two containers the exact same size. Take out as much as you can with the turkey baster and put it in container 1. Measure an equal part of new fluid in container 2 and replace. Start car, lock to lock 3 times and repeat 4-5 times. You will need about 1/2 gallon of new fluid total.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a big mistake.. I shouldn't listen to manual.. I shouldn't run engine.. I didn't know how fast it going to suck... Had to do it "simple way" - engine off... Going to try again tomorrow. I have air somewhere in pump.. We did lots of turns and can hear same amount of bubbles... :helpless:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I drain fluid completely and put fresh one? Will it remove air out of system?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Draining the system will completely fill the system with air. Is the fluid still full of bubbles?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't check today yet cause I'm working. I'm going to bleed it afternoon. This is my first shot. I got all stuff for that. Going to follow procedures inbrepair manual.
System full of air for sure.. It sucked air about 7 seconds with engine on. I hope this bleeding will work out....
Any tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If the fluid in the system is still aerated, you'll either have to wait more, or drain it and fill/bleed again.

I'd imagine it's fine by now, and you can just bleed it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, techicaly, after it has been aereted (full of bubbles) I have to wait till they all get out. Correct?
How am I suppose to drain? Drain dry or drain and refill same time?

----------

I'm going to bleed it in 3 hours. It is going to be 20 hours after aeration. Is it technically enough for settling down?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Yes more than enough time, takes maybe an hour or two if you've really bubbled it up.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, thanks everybody who chimed in here! It is done! That was easier than I could expect. I bought MityVac from amazon with overnight delivery - saved my day(s) cause I need car badly. Another tool (rubber piece and metal tube in it) which has price $60 I did myself for $5.
All air has gone. Miracle happened! Another project finished. :stirpot:

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,289 Posts
Well, thanks everybody who chimed in here! It is done! That was easier than I could expect. I bought MityVac from amazon with overnight delivery - saved my day(s) cause I need car badly. Another tool (rubber piece and metal tube in it) which has price $60 I did myself for $5.
All air has gone. Miracle happened! Another project finished. :stirpot:
------------------------------------
PLEASE - when you are ready for the next project -

ask everything here BEFORE YOU START -

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm getting to it... :stirpot: I don't want anymore costly mistakes. It is also a lot of stress.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts