Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
02 deville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so heres the deal, I got into a minor accident that damaged the radiator. On the ride home the coolant was leaking and the engine began to overheat so i pulled over and let it idle like it said to. The radiator has since been replaced and the car runs fine without overheating and is driven every day without a problem. Now the service engine light is on and I have two codes. The first one is p0443 EVAP solenoid control circuit malfunction, and the second one being p1258 Engine Metal Over-temperature protection which I am thinking means that it tripped when my engine overheated after the accident, the guys at oreilleys were saying I may need to replace the head gasket but there are also a few other reasons this could be happening. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated .

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,489 Posts
Re: CODE: p1258 Engine Metal Over-temperature protection 02 deville help please

That is NOT the definition of P 1258. "Engine coolant overtemperature - above 268 degreesF - Protection Mode Active.

"Protection Mode" is camel mode - during which the engine drops pairs or quads of cylenders to lessen heat load on the remaining coolant. It should self-clear, but if you use your car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory to see codes, you can clear them yourself. That should reset the P 1258. Use the proper year/model sections and links in the sticky thread "How to pull codes".

EDIT: Study the sticky posts concerning cooling systems, gauges, fan operation and head gaskets in the Engines; Northstar forum.

I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with a head gasket - occasional overheating in a Northstar will not cause head gasket failure - and you never really let the engine get all that hot anyway - you followed correct procedures.

P 0443 is something involved with the EVAP soleonoid on the right (rear) side of the throttlebody OR any of the EVAP piping and system between the engine compartment, charcoal canister and gas tank.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
:nono: to the so-called "mechanics" or "parts guy" who sees a Northstar vehicle and screams head gasket right away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts