Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my car in to have the intermediate shaft on the steering replaced. I had a 2015 CTS 2.0T as a loaner for a week so I really got to experience it. Also, I should say, I have been considering a new CTS even as I don't like the back end or the overall increase in size. On the good side, I grew to like the 2.0T. While the exhaust note was a little unrefined, and didn't seem to fit the car, it was fast and nearly no turbo lag. After I got used to the sound, I found it fun to drive and I really didn't want more power. I was impressed overall even as I would probably get the 3.6 or wait for the 3.0T. Also, interior fit and finish was a clear step up. Cadillac has really upgraded the interior and no squeaks, bending center console, or all the things I had to deal with when my car was new. Also, I liked the seats better than my car, they are better at conforming and offering side support, and you sit in them as opposed to on them. The technology was a vast improvement other than the CUE. Trying to get that system to respond is a testament to bad engineering, and a clear step backwards. Instead of some buttons and knobs you have to try over and over to get it to do what you want. It's ridiculous.

Okay, so on the downside, the rest of the car wasn't any better than my 09 or worse. The ride was definitely smooth, but it wasn't as forgiving over some road imperfections as my car. Hit a pothole and you're going to hear it and feel it, and it's going to impact the tracking. It might be those run flat tires, which are noisy. Speaking of noise, I experienced a lot more road and tire noise in the 2015. It actually made it hard to listen to the radio on some road surfaces. The suspension did keep the car flat around turns, and that impressed me. I also felt the steering and braking was a step backwards. The steering, while definitive in terms of action, felt numb compared to my car. The brakes were much more touchy, and I easily adjusted to that, but they too felt less linear. They just weren't as enjoyable.

So a week later, I was happy to get my 09 back. More than that, I better understood why people might hold off on buying this 3rd gen. I will actually put more money into keeping this car going until the 4th gen or they make improvements to the 3rd gen.

Of course, this is my experience, but I thought I should share because I thought I would want the new CTS. In fact, I was getting prepared to want it so bad after a week with it, that I already had some pricing worked out. The exact opposite happened.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
Thank you for your impressions. I live in the UK so haven't really seen a '14+ CTS, except at the Geneva Auto show. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a 4th gen CTS. I got my first Cadillac when I was 26 and loved it, but as I've gotten older I am a lot more sensitive to NVH. Maybe better tires would help.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,253 Posts
Thanks for that report. I'm on the fence as we speak. I agree about the looks. I've only got 13,000 on my 2011 so maybe I'll hold off for a while.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium AWD
222 Posts
I had a 2.0 turbo CTS for a week and agree with most of what you said. After about 5 days I was used to CUE and it did not bother me. The ride was incredible, did your loaner have magnetic ride? If not, maybe that was the difference.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree overtime I adjusted to the CUE as well. What really frustrated me was swiping to open the storage compartment behind the HVAC controls and the volume. I am not sure if it had the Magnetic Ride Control ... the ride was impressive in some aspects, such as body lean, but not over highway expansion joints. Now I'm curious what I had!

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
exm22psu said:
I agree overtime I adjusted to the CUE as well. What really frustrated me was swiping to open the storage compartment behind the HVAC controls and the volume. I am not sure if it had the Magnetic Ride Control ... the ride was impressive in some aspects, such as body lean, but not over highway expansion joints. Now I'm curious what I had!
Rough ride over the expansion joints is a result of run flats. I found mine horrible and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The ride is unbelievable: firm but not harsh and at times, cushy. Hard to completely explain. In Track mode the MRC is amazing. I drive my dad's '09 3.6 DI AWD often. It's nice but cannot compare to the Gen 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts