Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, and I will admit that I didn't search thoroughly for this topic...

What has everyone found to be the biggest way to improve oversteer? Better tires for grip? Cradle bushings? Suspension?

I used to drive a G35 sedan, rwd, with manual. Everything was stock, and nothing great for tires. And I must say that from what I recall I had to push that car a lot harder than my V to get it to oversteer. I realize the V has more weight, around 500 additional lbs, but it's also on wider tires which should help to some extent.

The current tires on the car were from the previous owner, some Cooper tires, I know they aren't great, so I will definetly get better ones when it's time.

I'm just looking for ideas and would pursue them if they aren't overly expensive. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not best at describing this stuff... one particular instance was taking a ramp from one street on to another. It's not a high speed ramp, so somewhat of a short curve and when you get on to it you are going downhill but then it switches to going uphill when you merge to the perpendicular street. I was obviously going above the recommended speed and got the back to slide out a bit. Braked before entering the ramp, had light throttle through it, had the back wheels let go slightly, not too much drama. Was going around 40 mph. It doesn't oversteer bad, but some improvement would be nice.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tire pressure is above min but not by much. Gonna start with that and see how it changes. I used to keep tires around 40 psi but lately kept them lower a little for comfort, perhaps it is affecting the handling a little. Otherwise, stock, and nothing should be broken. Got FG2 on front and FE4 on back.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,045 Posts
When was the last time it was aligned? What are the rear camber and toe set to?

FG2s are supposed to be more firm than FE4s, so having the FG2s in the rear would make the car understeer less.

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
351 Posts
Well, throttle application has a lot to do with it but....I just swapped tires from some Hankooks (not impressed with them at all) to some BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2's.....what a world of difference. The grip and traction are night and day in all aspects. Changed the car completely. It used to break loose in a heartbeat. Not anymore.....and they weren't that expensive at all. So, I understand the suspension having a big part in all this but do not discount the rubber that's connecting you to the ground.

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
49 Posts
Stiffer damping on the rear will generally take away traction relative to the front during transitions or on any bumpy surface, so that could be what's going on. If it was happening during a steady state turn though that wouldn't make sense. I think you just need to get used to driving a car that isn't set up from the factory for terrible drivers like your previous one was. Like others have mentioned on here our V's still actually push (understeer) a little bit as long as they're not being provoked.

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
351 Posts
Check out how this stock v handles when pushed. 07cadv which hankooks did you move away from?
Ventus V12 EVO K110.....hated them. Rode rough, no traction, especially when cold. I didn't realize how bad they were on this car until I swapped them out. The BFG's are amazingly better. Very happy with them. Instead of spinning the tires it actually hooks and accelerates now. Of course spinning them is no problem, it just takes more gas now.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,099 Posts
With FG2s and Michelin PSSs all around, as well as the aggressive (street) camber settings I have, I can rotate my car as much or as little as I want with the throttle. I would not call this oversteer. If you feel the back rotating a bit, that is called "handling." But it should not be sliding unless you are provoking it via the throttle.

·
Registered
2004 Raven cts-v
44 Posts
Every normal car comes from the factory engineered to oversteer,its safer than understeer.same reason almost every vanilla mobile tires stick out from the body,speed limiting aero.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,045 Posts
Every normal car comes from the factory engineered to oversteer,its safer than understeer.
Uh, no. With very, very few exceptions (the 1st gen S2000, for instance), cars are designed to understeer from the factory. Understeer is safe - if the car starts to understeer and you slow down (which the car will do by itself to some extent, due to tire scrub) you will stop understeering. Not to mention that the car is still going in the "right" direction. If a car starts to oversteer, and the typical uneducated driver lets off the gas or hits the brakes because the car isn't doing what they want it to do, that oversteer becomes a spin. That's not safe.

same reason almost every vanilla mobile tires stick out from the body,speed limiting aero.
:suspect:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts