Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with a 99 STS my coolant was low so filled it up, do I need to bleed the system or something on this thing because now it wont stop overheating. If so any one have any instructions?

Second I have this strange electrical/ac problem
Periodically the dash will ding ABS and traction light come on, then ac will only blow out of floor for somewhere between 2 mins and 5 hours. Then it will ding again, lights off and blows out of dash.

Now the abs and traction lights come on at other times too and dont effect the ac, but when ac does this they lights always do same thing

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
Re: Overheading 99 STS and strange electrical? Ac? problem

You had better read the Northstar Performance threads down below pertaining to head gasket failure and the symptoms. If the system is properly filled to halfway up the tank, COLD, and you're still losing coolant and "overheating" (coolant blowing out the coolant cap) and there's none on the floor or driveway (as in: hose leak or some such), you have big problems.

How old is the battery in your car?

Read the sticky thread at the top of the main page in Cadillac Technical Discussion, Technical Tips, "How to pull codes on ........98......." . Use the OBD-II code lists. Don't clear your codes yet - come back here.

Go up and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive at the top of the page, in the black bar.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts

So with a 99 STS my coolant was low so filled it up, do I need to bleed the system or something on this thing because now it wont stop overheating. If so any one have any instructions?
The cooling systen is self-purging but the purge plumbing must be flowing freely for that to happen. Easy check is to remove the rubber hose from the top of the coolant reservoir and verify that there is a coolant flow from the hose (engine cold at idle)

Second I have this strange electrical/ac problem
Periodically the dash will ding ABS and traction light come on, then ac will only blow out of floor for somewhere between 2 mins and 5 hours. Then it will ding again, lights off and blows out of dash.

Now the abs and traction lights come on at other times too and dont effect the ac, but when ac does this they lights always do same thing
Too many unrelated things going on here.
Display your trouble codes and let's see if we can find some clues. Here is how to display the codes;
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/172511-how-pull-codes-98-04-sevilles.html

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So if those are all active codes Im going to be busy....

B1327
U1300
B1652
U1301
B1343
P1574
U1040
C1736

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts

You better get your overheating problem sorted out first...

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You better get your overheating problem sorted out first...

Yup looks like about a gallon every 4 days... no signs of coolant leaks on garage floor so guessing head gasket..

Time to sell and get another one?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts

Decision time........Even if the rest of the car is mint it isn't worth a plugged nickel on the market. If you really like the car, fix it and enjoy a LOT more time in it - if you've had it with expenses, unload it and look elsewhere. No easy shots to call here - the cost of a newer/different ride will be even or more than the engine top overhaul.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts

If the car doesn't have any other major issues and is in good shape I say fix the motor and just keep her on the road. Buy Jake's (look in Northstar section for details) stud kit and fix the motor yourself or either truck the car up there to him and let him do it for around $1500 (+/-). Dealer cost for the same job is around $4000.

Here is the website for the kit: http://www.northstarperformance.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts