Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 eldorado overheats after driving over short distances (15-20 miles). It has a bad coolant leak which ive taken to my mechanic and yet he cant seem to find where the leak is coming from. I've replaced the radiator, the thermostat, the radiator hoses and it still leaks BADLY! I'm having to fill the resevoir with new coolant everyday before i drive it! However I cant imagine that even this bad of a leak is causing the engine to overheat. This makes me think it could be a blown head gasket. My guy I take it into has told me a few options i could do. For starters he reccomnded using blue devil head gasket sealer to possibly stop any leaks. To me this seems like a temporary fix and i dont know how much it would benefit, or last. He told me that the way the Northstar V8 engine is put together that he'd be unable to fix the head gasket. He then tells me I could possibly do an engine swap. I just really don't know what to do. I love the car, but it is extremely impractical for me to be constantly filling with coolant and overheating the car. Could someone give any helpful advice please?:)

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Don't use "fix in a can" first off, the engine can be fixed if the Head gasket are bad. Two things to check, purge line and then do a block test(do a search here as both have been discussed constantly). Oh and time for a new mechanic...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,481 Posts
Find and repair the source of the large leak - and any others - before either dumping magic goop into the system or hanging your hat on a failing head gasket. There's probably nothing drastically wrong with your present engine - repair it.

Water pump drive system in perfect condition ? Purge line clear and flowing properly ? Surge tank intact, no leaks, proper cold coolant level ?

As advised, find a new mechanic. The Northstar engine (all of it) can be repaired/overhauled/worked on just like any other engine - it just takes a bit more time, some special tools, and knowledge than some others.

Your "mechanic's" reluctance to properly repair the engine is why there are many Northstars lying around in junkyards - and why it makes swapping in a "used engine" a very, very poor bet.

Study the several sticky threads on cooling systems, gauge operation and fan operation on the main Engines; Northstar threads page. Always study the sticky threads in any forum of interest. Study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. Timeless info written by the engineers who developed the Northstar System.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
My guy I take it into has told me a few options i could do. For starters he reccomnded using blue devil head gasket sealer to possibly stop any leaks. He told me that the way the Northstar V8 engine is put together that he'd be unable to fix the head gasket.
The first thing you need to do, is find a new guy.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses guys! I definitely want somebody else experienced with the northstar to take a look. I'm just having trouble thinking of who I could possibly take this to. I only know general car maintenance, not at all knowlegable about servicing the engine. I also don't want to take it to a shop like firestone or some other big name shop that will charge me loads of money for work by complete strangers. I suppose the dealership may be a possibility. Possibly the best thing to do would be to find somebody independent who knows his stuff?? Haha, i may be answering my own questions but I'd really like this done right so I can get back to enjoying my ride :suspense:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
If you update your profile to show your location, we or someone in your area may know of a qualified shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts