Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Eldyfig 
#1 ·
Hello!
My name is Alonzo and I just bought a 95 sts last night. It was running idle with the a/c on and it started to overheat, the a/c automatically shut off, steam was coming from the overflow hose. Can someone let me know what the possible problems are so that I can fix it?

#4 ·
Thanks Ranger!

The guy I bought it from said that he changed the surge tank because it was leaking at the bottom and he replaced the cap. He let it sit idle for about 3hrs (so he says) without the a/c on and it did not overheat. If the coolant and water mixture isn't right, could that also be a factor?

#9 ·
I just bought a 98 eldorado and the first day the temp came almost to the last line before hot in traffic without the ac and the temp ousdie was only 70 deg. It did go back and forth from the mid line to the line beefore hot several times in 15-20 minutes. I called the dealer and he said it is common for it to move around without ac on as when it gets between the mid and hot line the fan comes on and cools it down. Im just not used to having a temp gage move around so much or run normally past the mid mark. The car typically runs just past mid line so I thought changing therostat and coolant might help. It didnt so Im done worrying about it.

I hear everyone quoting temperatures of their northstar coolant. Where do you get this temperature info? My gage just has lines. Also what years had my exact engne transmission combination?

#11 ·
Hey Z095sts, Look to see if your cooling fans are kicking in. On mine there are two, One for normal riding, and the second kicks in just in case the first one doesn't do the job.

Service ride control, means there is something wrong with the ride control. Check connections at the suspension. What codes are there? I had an issue with that also. But it seemed to fix itself. I also had a ABS issue, The rear right tire connection was loose. It looked to be in there, but on further examination, i found that it was not "locked" into place. Out just enough to look in, yet throw a trouble code..

#13 ·
To get the codes, with your ignition on and the engine running, press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on your climate control until all of your displays light up. The OBD will go through its tests and display codes in the format of a letter followed by 3 numbers. Testing is done when it reads "PCM?". Post your codes when you get them.

Dougtune, 95 and older cars were equipped with OBD1 and were able to display coolant temp in a digital readout under the speedometer. There is a way to get that readout in some OBD2 caddys, but you have to go into the OBD system and make an override. This topic was recently discussed here: http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55326

#18 · (Edited)
Normal operating temp has a fairly large range depending on different things. Between 199 and 225 is normal. Mine runs 199-205 while driving. If it sits and idles, the temp will creep up. Idling on really hot days, the temp will crest over 220. Your fans come on at 225. If everything is doing its job optimally, your temp shouldn't get much higher than that. I believe the North* considers itself overheating somewhere above 250.

#20 ·
My Caddy is running normal. Praise God!!!!
I'm changing the water pump anyway. I had a guy go to the auction to find this car for me. The vin # came back clean but I have no idea as to how long this car has been sitting. So I'm doing preventive maintenance. What is the tool that you use to pull the wierdest looking water pump I've ever seen out of its housing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.