Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car will not stop over heating I replaced everything from the radiator to the coolant temp sensor what to do now

·
Registered
06 SRX 3.6L 2WD
438 Posts
Why do you think it is overheating? Why did you replace the parts that you have replaced? Have you leak-down or block-tested it for a head gasket failure? What kind of engine does it have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you think it is overheating? Why did you replace the parts that you have replaced? Have you leak-down or block-tested it for a head gasket failure? What kind of engine does it have?
It has a 3.6 litter vvt engine in it the radiator was replaced because of a crack so I replaced it and it started over heating so I replaced the thermostat when that did not help I replaced the coolent sensor and the thermostat just in case 🤔any ideas

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
973 Posts
If over heating started AFTER the radiator replacement maybe that's a clue. Are the cooling fans running? After replacing the radiator did you confirm air had been displaced from the system. I've found the radiator fill reservoir may have to be refilled a couple times if coolant has been drained from the system

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
717 Posts
Be sure the thermostat is actually working, check that the outlet hose to the radiator is hot. One of those 20 dollar temp guns is great for diagnosing stuff like this.
Also this one probably does not apply but my buddy is working on a BMW where the guy replaced the belt with improper routing and it didn't engage the water pump pulley and failed the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the block has air trapped in it, that will cause an overheating issue. As posted above be sure all the air is bleed out of the system. Run the car with the radiator cap off and the heater on high. They also sell a kit with a set of caps and funnels that fit most radiators so you can add coolant while performing this and if you not some tape and a regular funnel will work in a pinch. Run the engine for 15 or 20 mins but make sure it isn't over heating!!!! If there is air trapped it should bubble out of the funnel and out of the system.

You can also check to see if the fans are coming on while doing this and check that the upper and lower hose is the same temp (if not your thermostat maybe stuck).

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
83 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but it's what I went through on my GXP. Change the radiator cap.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
The heater core is full flow at all times and is part of the coolant warmup from cold loop. Cabin temp is controlled by air blend doors so running the "heater on high" accomplishes nothing in the way of bleeding air out of the cooling system.

As the thermostat opens (radiator flow begins) the upper radiator hose should be quite a bit hotter than the lower (return) hose; heater core hoses should be about the same (hot) temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts