Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon , all- I have a '92 DeVille that has a leak in the pipe that connects to the engine block and goes under the engine. Just a few questions- am I correct in referring to the part as an outlet pipe, and how hard is it to replace? The pipe itself has a hole in it and I have to replace the whole part. Thanks for any and all info.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Re: Outlet Pipe (?) Leak

I think he's talking about #1. They rust out at the bend. You can usually just cut out the bad part and put a longer hose, #3, on it to fix it. Some years the pipe itself is buried behind the exhaust manifold where you can't get to it.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Outlet Pipe (?) Leak

Thanks for the info- the part bolts directly into the engine block itself and bends beneath the engine.Only access to the part is if vehilce is raised- a bit tought to get to. Thanks for the link-I'll if I can narrow down the part.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try and get a pic up in a few days- still pretty cold where I live- should be a balmy 40 on Monday, lol

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
are you referring to the outlet next to the water pump that connects to radiator with a hose. if that is the case you have to remove water pump.(can not remember if you have to take off the timing cover or not but some one on here will know)

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty tight under the car ,have to jack it up to get pics- pretty wet and sloppy here after the rain we had last night. I'll try and get some clear pics tomorrow. @ Calvin- the part isn't connected to the radiator- it's a steel pipe that is connected directly to the engine block that has a bend in it -connects to a small 3 inch hose that connects to another hard line that runs under the engine. The general location of the part is below and to the right of the water pump.Very hard to get to it without having it raised.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Calvin was talking about the water pump outlet... in the illustration below it is #326

notice how the outlet pipe fits inside the cavity in the block

i'm starting to think that's what you're after also

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
The water pump outlet is bolted to the timing cover, not the block. One leg is for the lower rad hose, the other is for the heater circuit. The pump, cover, and outlet are all sandwiched together with gaskets between. That said, the pump and cover must be removed to replace the outlet.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pipe1resizev2.jpg Took a picture this morning- sorry it's not the best quality or more detailed. The battery on my camera doesn't really hold a charge anymore.I only get one picture after a few hours of charging. The view is from beneath the car in front- the pipe in the picture has a bend that isn't visible. I'll charge the camera and get a better picture tomorrow if it isn't raining- just wanted to thank everyone for all the info- I'm unemployed and this car is my only means of transportation.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I hope you are a good mechanic because that is a pretty tough job in my opinion. You are going to be working around the AC compressor or removing it for better access. The pipe itself is most likely discontinued. If you have a good parts man that will help you, he may be able to find one. There are aftermarket companies that buy up some of this discontinued stuff and I think the GM parts guys can still access it.(Rippy can correct me or clarify) I don't know the correct name of it but it is some kind of heater pipe; they probably list front or rear, this would be front. I would say the first step is to get to the dealer, look at the diagrams, and see if they can order one. Then you can decide if you want to tackle it or (cough) pay somebody to do it. It is a lot easier to fix on a lift. Best of luck

Oh yeah, almost forgot Rippy. If he can find one you might as well buy it from him.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
i'm still not sure what we're looking at in that picture

and if it does end up being the water pump outlet pipe (#326 in the illustration i posted earlier) it is still available

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not the outlet pipe - that's actually visible from the top of the engine. The location of this pipe is a bit below pipe #1 in the pipe diagram posted earlier in the thread . I'll see if I can take a better picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
2016 XTS luxury, 1995 Sedan Deville Base 4.9 l
91 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but does any one know if the metal coolant pipes, labeled #1 and # 4 in the illustration are still available?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts