Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of deciding to do this and buying the parts I'm finally starting on it. After taking everything apart it looks like it won't be too bad, but I'm sure it will prove me wrong. Here are some pics of the current state of destruction:

Just to give an idea on how dirty it is right now, I have chrome wheels in the pic below.

Jon

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
178 Posts
Seems like a lot of work for a CAI but big props for tearing $hit apart. You know i love this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Lowering the radiator for clearance eh?

Funny; my V looks much the same living in mod hell. I've a renewed hatred of FREAKING PLASTIC RIVETS. GM - I'll pay $1k more for you to assemble the car with real hardware. :rant2:

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Haha...this is like the third time this week someone else had started a mod I've been toying with in my head. I was this close to buying a used clear SLP lid from a guy on the Trans Am forum to start designing an OTR, but someone beat me to it.

Keep us updated with pics, and good luck!

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lowering the radiator for clearance eh?

Funny; my V looks much the same living in mod hell. I've a renewed hatred of FREAKING PLASTIC RIVETS. GM - I'll pay $1k more for you to assemble the car with real hardware. :rant2:
I can't beleive the car even stays together. I took the whole front end off with about 10 bolts. :bigroll:

Haha...this is like the third time this week someone else had started a mod I've been toying with in my head. I was this close to buying a used clear SLP lid from a guy on the Trans Am forum to start designing an OTR, but someone beat me to it.

Keep us updated with pics, and good luck!
I've had these parts for over a year. My plan was to get this in spring of '06 as soon as it warmed up.

Here's some pics of what I have in mind. Still have to find a few more inches of clearance here and there for everything to line up right, but you'll get the idea. I really want to make an enclosure for it to get the ram air effect (also to hide these big ugly filters) but I ain't got too much room to work with. Anyway, here you go:

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Interesting....you're going at it differently from what I had imagined. Looks good so far though! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Plastic Rivets suck cock balls.

What's the small cooling fins for again, hanging down below the radiator? Oil cooler? Didn't think we had one.

And, wow, those are chrome wheels. Shite. Looks rather flat to me. It's not really even dirty as in, being covered/pitted with brake dust. Looks more like its just plain dust settlin on them to hide the chrome. Musta been sittin around for a while.

What's that there sittin atop the throttle body. Nothing functional, right? Just a silicone hose you happened to place there.

Is that an actual fitment in those pictures, or a rough mock up? It'd be nice if you could find a T or Y junction that laid the cones horizontal so they ran parallel to the lines of the front grill. You could also put a backing shield behind them (like half a cone that wrapped around the back half) to provide a semi-ram effect - shouldn't require too much space. Wanna see the final set up.

Hell, I thought 2c5s had this done. Whatever happened with that?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Seems to me reality set in.

And no, Tony, you can't go over the top unless you want an even worse choke tube. Been there, done that. Still have the tooling plug sitting on my workbench. When I'm back in the office I'll put up the photos.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plastic Rivets suck cock balls.

What's the small cooling fins for again, hanging down below the radiator? Oil cooler? Didn't think we had one.

And, wow, those are chrome wheels. Shite. Looks rather flat to me. Musta been sittin around for a while. It's not really even dirty as in, being covered/pitted with brake dust. Looks more like its just plain dust settlin on them to hide the chrome.

What's that there sittin atop the throttle body. S'not nothing functional, right? Just a silicone hose you placed there. Is that a actual fitment in those pictures, or a rough mock up.

It'd be nice if you could find a T or Y junction that laid the cones horizontal so they ran parallel to the lines of the front grill. You could also put a backing shield behind them (like half a cone that wrapped around the back half) to provide a semi-ram effect - shouldn't require too much space. Wanna see.

Hell, I thought 2c5s had this done. Whatever happened with that?
That is the power steering cooler hanging down. I'm still pondering what I'm gonna do with that, probably gonna shorten the hoses and mount it right below the radiator support the the driver side.

The wheels got that way from driving in the rain. Why does it only rain right after you clean something?

That is just a piece of silicone hose from the kit, I don't have enough clearance yet to get it on there. I have to trim a bit off the bottom of the radiator support, and then the filter should be more forward and a bit higher in the grille. So yeah, its just rough mock-up, seeing how much I need to cut and where.

My plan for the ram air was originally was to put some ducting aroung the out side of the filters and to pipe it down to the lower grille. I still may try to do this it'll just be a really tight fit. I've seen personally seen a 0.2 tenth and 2mph difference in the 1/4 mile on a 02 T/A (with a "ram air" kit) just by making it seal up better. I've also seen it run an identical T/A with the same mods minus the ram air, and they were dead even until about 60mph when the ram air car just pulled away.

So beleive me I really want to get a functional ram air on this car and I'll do whatever it takes to get to that point.

And finally, 2c5s was trying to go over the radiator support and there just isn't any room for that.

Jon

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
^^ I couldda sworn 2c5s (10secvette for those older members) made it work going over the radiator support :confused: I could be wrong....either way I asked 2c5 this and now I'll ask you....what are you gonna do when you get caught in a rain storm??? them are gonna be some wet filters......I didn't get a very 'good' answer from 2c5, so, lets hear yours.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I already had a ram air through the driver side brake duct. 3 inch pipe running up into a sealed up airbox. I had that for about a year and a half, no problems there. I try my best not to drive in the rain, but when I do I'll cross my fingers. Like I said I'm gonna do everything possible to not leave the filter exposed, which will help keep them from getting completely soaked.

I do something similar to this on just about every car I've owned or helped work on, never had a problem. Hopefully this won't be the exception but, if it is then it'll be time for something bigger and better.

I'm pretty sure that 2c5s didn't get it to work because I talked a bunch of shit to him on the other board about it and if he did make it work he would have rubbed it in my face.

Edit: I just looked back and I actually talked shit about it to you also. How funny is that.

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
^^^no he wouldn't do that...for in turn it would have proved that you could do it and he didn't want anyone else to be able to do it....he did in fact do it, I just read some of the PM's he sent me...so no picture proof of the completed project just words saying that he got it to work.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just read that too. I won't believe that he did it until I see the pics

Here's the link to that thread. Stkshkr called him out in this one. This was last December and still no pics. I just don't believe him, and I never will without seeing it complete. http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618207

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
eh, I dunno theres pics of it kinda apart and such, in the process of being done...doesn't matter much to me....either way if this works for you I'd love a parts list and a brief description of what ya did....even though I may never do it just because I think the car is plenty fast enough and it seems every time I screw with something it just makes another rattle or something else that breaks and I have to constantly fix :sigh: ......I'll do headers but I think thats where it might stop (who am it kidding :D )

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I've used so far is just a Volant CAI for a corvette part# 25957C. By the time I get done I may decide that there was a better kit for the job, but this one looked like what I needed before I tore the car apart. Anything else I use will just be general hardware from Lowe's.

A smaller after market radiator would be ideal, but not necessary. This maybe the thing to do when and if your radiator goes south and your warranty is up.

When I get done I'll have a complete write up with pics of what I've done.

Jon

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Here's over the top "the easy way" (and still get your hood closed...:rolleyes:) without hacking the hood, modifying the radiator support or tilting/lowering the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...without hacking the hood, modifying the radiator support or tilting/lowering the radiator.
What fun would that be? I guess that other was too easy for you too, huh? I tried over and over again to get you to share your plans with me. I figured that the way I came up with was more cost effective than that million dollars you quoted me. :ride:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts