Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm the guy who was bitchin bout da handbrake issue a while back, but as u can tell from the title on my post i have decided to go ahead and get an 06 CTS V. My dealership has agreed to order me one from the factory, and had a few ?'s 4 u experts.

1.) Stock Shocks or Upgraded-Reviews on Upgraded Plz
2.) Drilled Rotor Upgradefrom Cadillac-Yes/No
3.) Stock Exhaust or Corsa

-Thanks guys for your help in advance
BTW sorry if this info has been answered elsewhere already, but ur opino matters most ty:D

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
bsrpilot said:
Hey guys, I'm the guy who was bitchin bout da handbrake issue a while back, but as u can tell from the title on my post i have decided to go ahead and get an 06 CTS V. My dealership has agreed to order me one from the factory, and had a few ?'s 4 u experts.

1.) Stock Shocks or Upgraded-Reviews on Upgraded Plz
2.) Drilled Rotor Upgradefrom Cadillac-Yes/No
3.) Stock Exhaust or Corsa

-Thanks guys for your help in advance
BTW sorry if this info has been answered elsewhere already, but ur opino matters most ty:D
-upgraded shocks
-no to drilled, you don't NEED them...better to go with better pads
-Corsa

Then sign-up for a track day...
-ace

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
If you are in a hurry to throw money at it, I would do the exhaust at least.

CAI next.

UUC shifter as soon as possible.

If you are financing the whole thing, then I would do the exhaust, and wear out everything else before I had it changed (rotors & shocks), but the shifter is a "gotta change".

WHOO HOO!

DOOMED from the get go huh?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah u could say i was doomed or blessed to find a dealer that wud order one and get it 2 me in 3 weeks wit gaurnteed 10 miles and under on the car.

But wat is a UUC shifter and what does it do..does it void warranty

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Get the car, drive it for a while. You'll know why everyone says the shifter is a "must do" mod. I have the BandM shifter, love it...wrapped the solid stick with some dynamat and "no sound". The UUC is another that is a little more money, stick is rubber-isolated so no noise out-of-the-box.
Good luck,
ace

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
I'm with Ace on this one;
Get the shocks. Vast improvement over stock for keeping the tires planted.
Drilled... no need. Stock Brembos are stupendous.
Get the Corsa. Sounds beautiful, no drone.
No warranty worries with these.

Consider a CAGS emliminator to get rid of the 1 to 4 skip shift. That's a cheap do-it-yourself install. That will at least get you all six gears under all conditions. Then after a while, if you find the shifter throw too long, consider a short throw kit (UUC, Katech, Mallet, B&M). I chose the B&M. It's high-quality, less expensive, a do-it-yourself install and B&M has been making short shifters and transmissions pieces since Hector was a pup.

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
Get the upgraded shocks and make sure your stockers end up in the trunk as they are dealer installed.

No X-drilled

Corsa if you wish, but I'd put my $1g toward headers.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Damn you guys. I wanted to be the first 06 with FG2 :cool:

I am doing the same thing. I would definately get the FG2, I think the Corsa is a must also. Forget the drilled rotors. Also consider the Specter bushings to help get rid of wheel hop, but you will have to buy these on your own and get the dealer to put them on when they do the FG2.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Kadonny said:
Damn you guys. I wanted to be the first 06 with FG2 :cool:

I am doing the same thing. I would definately get the FG2, I think the Corsa is a must also. Forget the drilled rotors. Also consider the Specter bushings to help get rid of wheel hop, but you will have to buy these on your own and get the dealer to put them on when they do the FG2.
The Specter Bushings...yup, I've had a good 5K squeak-free miles with mine. Your dealer should install these free, as per TSB, and then you'll be fine.
-ace

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Ace, any added clunk after the Specter install? That is the only negative I have heard on them from a few here.

Specter + FG2 + RSA should = no wheel hop........hopefully.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Kadonny said:
Ace, any added clunk after the Specter install? That is the only negative I have heard on them from a few here.

Specter + FG2 + RSA should = no wheel hop........hopefully.
I have Specter+FG2+Kumho ASX = some wheel hop...there's always going to be wheel hop unless you do some MAJOR re-working of the geometry and change every rubber bushing to solid-bearings...there's just too much play in the links.

I didn't notice any more clunk after the Specters, no more NVH either, but it did eliminate the BANGING of the cradle jumping around. Now the tires hop, not the cradle.

I think the trailing arms from BMR may do some good for the situation, even so I've already killed a TA bushing from spirited corner-carving. When the summer comes and I jump back into the competitive autox scene, I believe that I might need the BMR TAs and Toe-Rods. I hear they put more NVH into the car, but they should last longer and take some "squish" out of the rear suspension.
-ace

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my car and had the FG2 shocks installed a week later. For normal driving, the ride felt firmer for the 2,000 miles I put on the car in Florida. The real difference was noted only when I got the car shipped to Italy. I run on the Italian Autostrada and German Autobahn in complete confidence. The FG2's definately took the floaty feel out of the car at higher speeds.

·
Registered
CTS-V
798 Posts
Loadtoad said:
I bought my car and had the FG2 shocks installed a week later. For normal driving, the ride felt firmer for the 2,000 miles I put on the car in Florida. The real difference was noted only when I got the car shipped to Italy. I run on the Italian Autostrada and German Autobahn in complete confidence. The FG2's definately took the floaty feel out of the car at higher speeds.
I'd love to see a pic of a V in sea of Pandas... or Ferraris. Got any?

·
Registered
101 Posts
calicadi said:
I'd love to see a pic of a V in sea of Pandas... or Ferraris. Got any?
Unfortunately the car did not get here until October which only gave me just over 1 month of driving time. She's garaged for the winter :crying: I just could not talk myself into risking her on these twisty and narrow roads. More worried about being slide into than I am about sliding into someone. Roads are made of marble and they ice very easily.

I can't wait until spring time to run the local "switchbacks" through the alps.

Pic is from after the first snow in November.

·
Registered
05 cts v 06 2.8 cts
192 Posts
Are saying i should have got my old shocks back from the dealer. They told me they get to keep them because the option price was the difference .!!!! Now your makin me feel like i was ripped PLEASE TELL ME NO!!!!!:bonkers: :bonkers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts