Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1969 Cadillac Data Book makes reference to Optional Rear Shoulder Belts as follows:

REAR SHOULDER BELTS: Two sets of Shoulder Belts for the rear seat are optional on all cars. The ordering code is Z.
REAR ATTACHMENT AND STOWAGE: Rear Shoulder Belt point of attachment in closed cars is to a welded anchor plate on the package shelf. When not in use, the Shoulder Belts remain in the comer on the package shelf.
SHOULDER BELT LENGTHS: Four different lengths of front outboard Shoulder Belts are used according to body
style.
LENGTH OF OUTER BELT: Style P - 42"

Anyone have any experience with obtaining original hardware and installing the Optional Rear Shoulder Belts, according
to the 1969 Fisher Body Service Manual?

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
I've never seen them, though I know they were an option. Honestly, I never even use the front shoulder belts in my 69 FWB. They're cumbersome and darn uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1964 Convertible, 1974 Corvette coupe, 1974 Corvette Vert
80 Posts
I've never seen them, though I know they were an option. Honestly, I never even use the front shoulder belts in my 69 FWB. They're cumbersome and darn uncomfortable.
And will probably save your life if some ice addict runs a red light in front of you. Belt up!

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

·
Registered
NONE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding, 77CDV and aussiejohn!

I'll second John where the shoulder belts are concerned: I wear 'em! Lap belts can cause fatal injuries in a collision, especially for children.
Even for adults, the lap belt alone is likely to cause serious injuries, even if they do prevent ejection from the vehicle. You don't have to be a
physicist to understand that shoulder belts offer exponentially-increased protection in a car accident. "Cumbersome" and "darn uncomfortable"
is paralysis and subsequent life in a wheelchair, compared with walking on two legs.

It's remarkable that General Motors offered Rear Shoulder Belts, beginning in 1968, when most of the motoring public wasn't very interested in safety. Lap belts for *all* seating positions were standard in Cadillac (excepting the "75" auxiliary seats) and other GM cars beginning in 1968,
the same year that the Rear Shoulder Belts were initially offered as a very unpopular option.

I am *keenly* interested in obtaining the OE/OEM Cadillac Rear Shoulder Belts, most specifically, the mounting hardware and caps for
the rear package shelf, where the "point of attachment in closed cars is to a welded anchor plate," according to the 1969 Cadillac Data Book.

Can anyone tell me who the best sources for vintage Cadillac OE/OEM parts in the United States are? Even if the Rear Shoulder Belts
were rarely ordered and installed, the equipment was available - "The ordering code is Z" - and I hope that with enough digging around
in the haystack, I'll find the proverbial needle!

I would most sincerely appreciate any and all recommedations where ordering vintage Cadillac OE/OEM parts is concerned!

·
Registered
NONE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it's not a good sign when you're replying to your own posts, but my further research has revealed that what I'm looking for,
most specifically, is the 1969 GM AS4 Deluxe Rear Seat Should Belt option, including the illustrated PLASTIC TRIM CAP, MOUNTING PLATE and ANCHOR PLATE shown in VIEW B:

View attachment 1969FisherBodyFig.15-108.pdf

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
It is the exact same shoulder belt as the one mounted on the roof edge for the front seats.
And I will install them in the rear of my Eldorado (was an option also and the mounting with thread is there behind the sail panels) so I can mount the child seats in the back.

·
Registered
NONE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Connoisseur! Coincidentally, I saw a YouTube video a few days after I posted that showed the shoulder belt roof mounts for the front seat and realized that I'm fortunately not looking for any "special" or "rare" part at all! Just need to find them in black!

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Thank you Connoisseur! Coincidentally, I saw a YouTube video a few days after I posted that showed the shoulder belt roof mounts for the front seat and realized that I'm fortunately not looking for any "special" or "rare" part at all! Just need to find them in black!
Try at OPGI.com or RockAuto.com. I found them at a swap meet in Sweden. In turqoise!

·
Registered
NONE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet, 70eldo! Thanks for the suggestion!

Rock Auto I tried, without success. I will certainly give OPGI a try. Cadillacs Only near L.A. has also been recommended.

Shouldn't really be *too* difficult, given that the plastic caps were used in hundreds of thousands of GM cars to mount the standard front
shoulder belts. And black is much more common than turquoise! What a find at the Swedish swap!

Congratulations and thanks for your suggestions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts