Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
04 Cadillac CTSV
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and didnt really see anything. but have you guys experimented at all at changing your shift points to get better gas mileage? i shift about 3k and all im getting is like 16. anybody shift any where else and get better?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
It depends on what kind of driving I'm doing, but if its just to and from work i try and shift at between 2000 and 3000rpms. Otherwise, I like to hear the sound of my magnaflow exhaust when i hit 4000 to 5000 rpms :) I get around 19-20 mpg, but i've never made it through a full tank of just short shifting, the car is just too much fun to do that.

·
Registered
04 Cadillac CTSV
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRUE that man i dont have exhaust but i still love the sound. do you do alot of highway driving? last time i filled up i calculated 15.88MPG

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Most of my driving is in town, stop and go w/ lights. Average is between 15 and 15.5mpg. If I see below 15 I know I've been a little heavier on the right foot. If it's 16 or slightly more I know I've been asleep at the wheel. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The information readouts on the radio include an instaneous miles per gallon readout. You can use this to monitor your driving habits and their relative effects on MPG. I found that getting into the higher gears early has more effect in increasing your MPG than one would think. Give it a try.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
74 Posts
TRUE that man i dont have exhaust but i still love the sound. do you do alot of highway driving? last time i filled up i calculated 15.88MPG
Some highway, mostly city stop and go. Its all in the way you shift. I get on it when I want to have fun and I short shift when I'm just driving.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,710 Posts
2-4-6 at less than 2K rpms. 1700 rpm highway cruise 90% of the time. No torque management and psuedo lean cruise courtesy of HPTuners I am getting mid 28's MPG. Stock other than that.

Norm

·
Registered
669 Posts
I usually shift around 3K rpm and on the streets most often stay in 3rd gear - that gets me anywhere between 40 - 50 mph and I average 15 mpg. I've often wondered what most people shift at; I've tried to get Reed to include that in his periodic questionaire. Reed... you reading this?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I have always skipped gears on all the manual cars I have owned but whay did GM decide it was good to go from 1st to 4th, bit of a big skip. Second to fourth would have been better, as suggested earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
I usually shift at 1800..I know I drive like a grandpa, also I usually shift 1-3-5-6...or, start in 2-4-6...and I average 20-21.
2-4-6 at less than 2K rpms. 1700 rpm highway cruise 90% of the time. No torque management and psuedo lean cruise courtesy of HPTuners I am getting mid 28's MPG. Stock other than that.

Norm
I usually shift around 3K rpm and on the streets most often stay in 3rd gear - that gets me anywhere between 40 - 50 mph and I average 15 mpg. I've often wondered what most people shift at; I've tried to get Reed to include that in his periodic questionaire. Reed... you reading this?
Wait a minute- do you mean that GM was on to something with that silly CAGS system? :D
You guys need an automatic. They gave us 6 forward gears and I use them all :lildevil:. Yeah... my gas mileage sucks, but I'm havin' fun.

·
Registered
04 Cadillac CTSV
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have fun even luggin around. and what can you do about it the car was ment to be driven long fast and hard. Just like a girl hahaha jk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts