Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone around here running Optima batteries? I was thinking about picking up a red top for the '76 when the time comes, due mostly to teh extreme heat it will have to face, but also there will be a pretty stout audio system going in.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Yeah,

Got one in my 95 SDV, and love it. I'm not running anything too unusual power wise in the car, (i.e. no 3500 watt amp setup or West Coast Customs video walls and juice bars) but it gives a good strong crank at all times, and seems not to mind running the accessories with the engine off for extended periods of time (which I do very rarely). The voltage monitor on my IPC always reads 13.5V+, well in the healthy range.

Is it worth the money? Well, I feel it is a more reliable battery than most, based mostly on word of mouth and reputation but my experience so far has been good.

I doubt the Optima will last significantly longer than a regular (decent) battery, so it's not like I'll save money by having to replace it less frequently but I do like the extra sense of security that I get from a top-end battery not $h|++|ng on me without warning at the worst possible moment like most OEM [read: Delco, Motorcraft, etc.] batteries seem to now.

The one [kinda] bad thing- I have side posts and the terminals on the Optima that was spec'd for my car are spaced closer in to the center than a normal side post with the terminals at the outer edges. Since there is very little slack in the main battery cables on my car, it was a tight fit getting them hooked up.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up. YMMMV.

KDirk

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info man. I've got no battery right now, and will have a pretty powerful audio system. It's also going to get pretty hot under the hood. Guess I'll go ahead and get one.

Pages are loading kind of slow for me as well.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
I had great Luck with optimas over the years ....I had them in the entire fleet , around 200 vehicles.....its the only battery that will start a car in the dead of the alaskan winter , without a heater or blanket on it ...

but wtach if you ever have to charge it , NEVER charge over 2amp ...unlike the classic batterys these optimas have very little "fluid" in them , chargeing over 2 amp boils the fluid right out of them ...

and in my experence they last longer than the classic batterys , most battery failures iver seen over the years come from the plates warpin together , or running out of acid (even the "matinece free" type)....the optima has no way to touch plates , and the gel type fluid isnt near as prone to go away ...very good units , napa and exide tried to duplicate it , but they werent near as good ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts