Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
I don't see any added benefit unless your current struts are bad.

When mine went south I replaced them with passive struts from Boston Suspension. I was pleased with the results. Others here have used passive replacements from Arnott Industries. I don't recall any specific posts by users of Strutmasters, but you could always search.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Warren,

I'm not too familiar with the system presently on the car. I thought it was an electronic controlled "road sensing" suspension. So, changing to a passive system would or wouldn't cause any problems?

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Passive shocks and struts will not give you any added benefit, except for in your wallet. The OEM system was designed to be superior to the passive systems, offering variable dampening (soft and firm) rather than single dampening (just firm). Although passive systems are definatly better than bad OEM shocks and struts.

Do you have the 4.9 liter engine or the 4.6 liter N*? With the 4.9 there are electronics available (resistors) for you to attach to the wires that would go to the dampering valves on each of the shocks and struts, they would trick the computer into thinking that you are still using the OEM nonpassive system. Since the RSS module for the N* engine works a little differently there aren't any electronics available to trick the module into thinking you have the OEM system (unless you have the CVRSS system (available years 97 and up)). As an effect of that you would end up with four DTC's concerning the suspension and the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message up on the dash constantly. The way most passive systems get around this is they tell you to do something on the DIC in Diagnostics mode that will make the IPC think that there isn't any RSS at all. As an effect of that you might end up loosing the air ride in the back (not sure), even though most cadillac compatible passive shocks are equipped to handle it. You also might end up not being able to restore the RSS settings if you ever decide to switch back to OEM. If you have the N* engine I would recommend removing the dampering valves from the old OEM shocks and struts and reusing them to trick the RSS module. Put them in a plastic bag and use plently of electrical tape to keep water out and make them last longer. Also zip tie them off in an out of the way place.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
rockytfox said:
I've got the 4.6 N*. Thanks for the info, I think I'll stick with the stock suspension.
OEM front struts will set you back around $1500/pair. :eek: You can purchase a pair of passive front struts from Boston Suspension for $275. :yup: Included are "widgets" to suppress the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the DIC.

Want to reconsider?? ------------->> http://www.bostonsuspension.com .

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
WarrenJ said:
OEM front struts will set you back around $1500/pair. :eek: You can purchase a pair of passive front struts from Boston Suspension for $275. :yup: Included are "widgets" to suppress the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the DIC.

Want to reconsider?? ------------->> http://www.bostonsuspension.com .

Regards,
Warren

Umm, I got my suspension from boston suspension... The thing is that none of the "widgets" seemed to work on my 94 eldo 4.6 N*. They supplied 12ohm resistors for my car which made the RSS module think that the circut was open. The RSS module that works with the N* caddies looks for the inductance that the flow of electricity encounters, not the resistance like on the 4.9 liter. (For those who don't know, inductance = how much of a magnetic feild an electromagnetic coil can create (It's called inductance because the electromagnetic coil '"induces" (or creates) a magnetic feild)). Inductive coils hold a small charge and release it almost like a capasitor, giving a frequency relative to the amount of watts going through the wire and the size of the coil. The only difference being that it doesn't dump all of the charge when it gets full. The RSS module listens to these frequencies to tell if the valves are working properly. The rest of the charge slowly seeps out as the magnetic feild becomes smaller after the power is turned off. I'm not sure if they figured out the correct inductive coil to supply with their shock/struts yet, but they didn't when I bought from them.

Not to mention the difficulty I had with the installation. It was like the shocks and struts weren't even for my car. With the rear shocks I noticed that the air inlet would touch the tire if I had them installed the correct way. So I had to remove them and pound a dent into the inner wheel wells with an air hammer so they would fit in there backwards. Then with the front struts, there was a lip on one of the wings on each strut. I had to cut it off in order to get the bracket to fit on there.

Don't get me wrong, I like the passive systems, but installing the wrong one for your car isn't fun.

Like I said before, you can reuse the old dampering valves out of your old OEM shocks and struts to supress the SRC message when you put the passive system on. The OEM shocks and struts are NOT gas packed, so you don't have to worry about them blowing up in your face when you remove the valves. Just keep the valve plugged in and working properly and there will be no codes. I'm not sure if the CVRSS system is gas packed or not, they may have a pressure sensor along with the dampering valve. Having a pressure sensor would imply that its contents are under pressure. I am not sure though because there is not much out there to read about how that system works, well I'm sure there is but I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
98 sls
57 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts