Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Sensatracs on the FW when I bought it, replaced the steering dampener as well. It's always been acceptable, but I can definitely tell the difference on the winter roads between these shocks and a good Bilstein.

Bilstein doesn't list a part for this application, but it does for the '95 Impala, and Caprice, should they fit?

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-011044/177277/RWD

If not, what are you guys running, what have you been happy with?

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I remember buying AC DELCO shocks from ebay ,it was something like $120 or 150 .Nonetheless,rear shocks required some tweaks to fit them properly according to the indie shop .
Happy ? Yes quite as much

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I put Sensatracs on the FW when I bought it, replaced the steering dampener as well. It's always been acceptable, but I can definitely tell the difference on the winter roads between these shocks and a good Bilstein.

Bilstein doesn't list a part for this application, but it does for the '95 Impala, and Caprice, should they fit?

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-011044/177277/RWD

If not, what are you guys running, what have you been happy with?
Caprice shocks will fit. I like my kyb gr2 as a bang for the buck firm shock.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? A softer or stiffer ride? Does a 95 Fleetwood have level ride air shocks on the rear standard?

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has ALS, yes.

I'm wanting a softer ride. I think the sensatracs were probably good enough when new, but 40K has worn them out.

I've considered converting the ALS to just a manual fill, for consistency more than anything else.

My goal is a soft ride with more control, yes, I know, contradictory. If I had to pick one over the other it's comfort, if I want pure handling I'll take the E class, and if I wanted my spine jarred I'd take the F250.....lol

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Better handling with a soft ride? Can be done with standard shocks and fatter sway bars front and rear. On my 84 Sedan, I used Caprice cop car sway bars with urethane orange bushings.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,728 Posts
Bilsteins will not be a softer ride. I've used all the "stiff shock" options (Heavy Duty Bilsteins (90-earlier Caprice), Sport Bilsteins, Monroe Severe Service), and none will provide a "soft" ride. The main benefit is very controlled suspension reaction, and longevity. They just don't wear out like low end shocks (like SensaCraps, and yes, I've used those too, once). I concur that big bars front and rear with stock springs and a good gas shock front and rear would be a great choice for soft ride and decent handling. I believe the Brougham got the same front bar as wagons and 9C1/SS (while FW got slightly smaller). Rear bar I'm not sure (but we can find that info easily), the 9C1/SS bar will be the biggest stock one.

replaced the steering dampener
"Damper". Something that "dampens" makes things wet. ;)

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Don't "dampen" his enthusiasm! "My rear taillight doesn't work nor my front headlight" and the car is parked in front of my "hot water heater" in the garage. Neither work irregardless of witch way the car faces! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts