I've lately been considering removing:

headers
B&B exhaust
LPE CAI

and replacing with:

stock manifolds
RT bolt in cats
stock exhaust with x-pipe replacing resonator
Volant CAI (or maybe stock box again with K&N drop in)

Goal?

My V is a beast - and everybody that hears it knows it. Went to dinner last night at a nice little Italian restaurant and the guy out front commented "...wow, that thing sounds like a '68 big block Camaro or something..."

Would appreciate comments or knowledge of what I'll be giving up (HP wise) and thoughts of whether I'll find the V too stealthy (wimpy) when finished...

Rick - your comments are pertinent here. I have the 2 bar PCM...but haven't installed yet...

WW

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
what's wrong with being a beast? if she's too loud, do the dynamat routine. if you use it for business then sure you may want to quiet her down, but then you'll mess the tune up.
get 100 sq ft of dynamat and a new stereo, you won't hear the exhaust all that much (inside) :devil:.

and if you want to go back to 100% wimp mode, i'll make you an offer on the maggie :p

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Urby -

I've added quite a bit of Dynamat and have more to do...but I'm wondering if I'll really miss the few hp that I give up by ditching the headers and cool sounding but crazy loud 3" xpipe B&B system...

I know I won't miss the LPE - the intake noise wears on my more than anything else.

I do use my V for business - but the people that go in the V with me appreciate the mods and that isn't my reasoning for trying to silence the beast.

Basically - nobody wants to race anymore :nono: That's probably a good thing given my driving record.

You know me...just get bored and want to try new things.

No, you cannot have the Maggie...she's staying.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Go to Corsa website, read the ad, make the switch.

If you lose 2-3 hp, so what. The Corsa exhaust is what stealth is all about. Nobody knows until you nail the throttle.

Tony

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2004ctsv said:
Go to Corsa website, read the ad, make the switch.

If you lose 2-3 hp, so what. The Corsa exhaust is what stealth is all about. Nobody knows until you nail the throttle.

Tony
While I do appreciate this comment - I've heard the Corsa vs. the B&B resonator (which I also have) and would never switch from the B&B to the Corsa. Some like the Corsa quite a bit - but personally - if you're going to have an exhaust - have an EXHAUST!:hide:

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
wildwhl said:
While I do appreciate this comment - I've heard the Corsa vs. the B&B resonator (which I also have) and would never switch from the B&B to the Corsa. Some like the Corsa quite a bit - but personally - if you're going to have an exhaust - have an EXHAUST!:hide:
Then don't complain when the rice boys hear you coming down the road:thumbsup:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I keep reading posts from people saying that their LPE CAI makes so much noise that it bothers them. Mine doesn't make any noise, which makes me wonder whether I have mine installed properly.:hmm:

CR

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
yep, ol Lingy is quiet on mine too. nary a whistle.

i think you'll miss the faster revving aspect of the headers. that aspect stands out in my mind as a huge difference. stock exhaust? sure....but maybe make a franken-exhaust....headers/leadpipes, then weld in the factory system? experiment...maybe keep BBs X, but weld on the factory mufflers? maybe stop worrying about racing people? :p spend the $ on a new stereo :) or plane tickets to San Antonio, where I think it must be 90 degrees today :D

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
crowan said:
I keep reading posts from people saying that their LPE CAI makes so much noise that it bothers them. Mine doesn't make any noise, which makes me wonder whether I have mine installed properly.:hmm:

CR
Nah, don't worry. You and I have installed it correctly. Everyone else is messed it up.:thepan:

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Bill,

I'd take it one step at a time. If you don't mind spending more $$ on this project, I highly recommend ditching the LPE and going with the Volant. I did that last week and, as I said in another post, it's both quiet and purty. No SOTP difference from the LPE.

Step 2 is a tougher call. I don't have headers, but I've compared the sound of my Corsa to a V that had Corsa and headers, and his was dramatically louder. I also have stock cats (f'king California); I take it that you have no cats. If I were you my next move would probably be to leave the headers on, cats off, and reinstall the stock exhaust. Simple to try, and with your headers and no cats this setup, while quieter than what you've got now, should be throatier than true stock. More restrictive, but probably not much more: the bulk of the restriction is in the cats anyway and I'm guessing that you wouldn't lose more than 5 HP by putting the bone stock exhaust back on.

One possible problem is that you'll notice the supercharger whine more than you do now. Whine + exhaust = manly; whine + no exhaust = whiney.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The LPE comment has more to do with whine of the Maggie than anything else. The difference is dramatic compared to the stock box (and likely Volant - lawfive?). I've tried every other intake option, may as well waste some money on the Volant while I'm at it (besides, I can make the killer laser cut cover for my V if I have one).

I've been thinking of trying this, but am afraid I'll screw up a perfectly good stock exhaust:

Leave the headers on (the cats are intact - set #2 at this point) and do just as lawfive suggested - bastardize the stock exhaust into the B&B x-pipe. Maybe even take it one step further and include a pair of electric cutouts :lildevil: for when I really need it loud again.

2004ctsv- not worried about the rice boys hearing me. Their fart-cans usually cover up even the manly xpiped, headered and maggied tunes that my V sings...and the stereo upgrade I have currently covers interior noises when I crank it up :thumbsup: Just makes it hard to have a conversation at times :D

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
wildwhl said:
The LPE comment has more to do with whine of the Maggie than anything else. The difference is dramatic compared to the stock box (and likely Volant - lawfive?).
The sucking sound the LPE made was only slightly less intense than the sharp air intake sound my wife made Friday when some jerk in a U-Haul truck tried to occupy my space-time coordinates.

The Volant is noise-free.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
WW: I think your car had the LPE on it when i drove it... whine-wise Law's car is much quieter than yours.

Law: Did you nail the gas leaving the Socal meet? I think it was you... if so, i have news for your... your car is pretty damn loud on the outside, from 25 feet away!

So anyone have a guess... how much power you lose with stock intake and stock exhaust and maggie??

P.S. Law, say hi to your wife from me... she was really nice...

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Why do threads like this pop up when i'm wanting to go with headers on my car?Whats a 2 bar PCM?Why do I start drinking at 8am?Chiefs win!

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Dreamin,

I nailed it in first & second; may have been me you heard. The Corsa is pretty loud at full nail.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Mating the B&B x-pipe to the stock exhaust isn't worth the effort from a performance, time and headache aspect. For stealth performance, headers bolted up to the stock exhaust would be a good combination. Of the airboxes, stock or Volant top the list for noise reduction.

For the 2-bar PCM; once you start using it you'll never go back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts