Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the AC compressor & clutch on the 77 Deville I recently bought. My choices are a New A6 compressor, a rebuilt A6, or I see new aluminum replacements. They are supposed to be direct fit. The descriptions say 20 pounds lighter ( I'm not going drag racing). They have 10 pistons instead of 6 & claim to be quieter & all around more modern & better than the iron horse A6's.
At this point I plan on keeping the car for a long time. So I'm leaning towards a NEW not rebuilt A6. I've bought rebuilt items in the past where I swear all they did was clean up & paint.
But if someone tells me the new aluminum jobs really are better, I might go that way.
Anyone here with experience?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRY0/58096/02645.oap?year=1977&make=Cadillac&model=DeVille&vi=1025446&ck=Search_02645_1025446_1692&pt=02645&ppt=C0354

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'm debating going A6(new) or using the common one from 80 and up Cadillacs. Ive had issues with belt tension. A6 sits and mounts far more solid than the smaller one. It just weighs so much!!!!!
Anyone else??

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was going to get lucky. The system was bone dry & not used for years. I pulled a vacuum for a half hour or better. Then let it sit for a few hours with no leak down at all. Charging was going fine up to about a half pound shy. Then the belt started screeching like crazy. The belt could not be any tighter. Inside was blowing low 50's even though it was near a 100 degree's out & the engine had been running for a looong time sitting still. I don't have a blower fan to help the radiator.
I'm guessing maybe loose piston slap is binding a bit at top pressure with full load of R12.?? The pistons are clakity claking pretty good in there.
Anyhow a new compressor & clutch won't hurt anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts