Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking at another caddy. It's a late 60s Eldorado with the 472. Has been sitting for 20 years in a garage. Anything in particular to watch out for with these engines? (I will be verifying the engine spins over before buying). Car is rusty in the typical spots (rear window/ c pillars/ in front of rear wheels/ behind front wheels/ rear wheels), but floors and frame are fine (factory Undercoating), and price reflects condition/ non op status. Interior is nice, but seats covers might not be original (vinyl.)

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
One time I lit up a 500 that had been sitting a long time.

Later I found 16 piston skirts in the oil pan. Car still ran better than a Chevy.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One time I lit up a 500 that had been sitting a long time.

Later I found 16 piston skirts in the oil pan. Car still ran better than a Chevy.
Did you soak the cylinders first, or just turn the key?

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
Ran it around by hand with no spark plugs after spraying brake fluid on valve springs. Put some trans fluid down the spark plug holes and let it sit in a few positions.

Cranked it to clear all the fluid, reinstalled plugs. Lit it up. Ran great for a short time.

Weirdest thing with a Cadillac engine I've run into.

I suppose the wrist pins may have been binding some.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats odd, to say the least. someone never changed the oil?

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
472 is a great engine. I remember those old big block ford engines, great power but they sure did knock an ping, the 472 has a little less power than the fords but they were sure smooth and would push those luxury yauchts just fine

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to a buddy of mine who lives nearby. He knew about which one it was as soon as I said Eldorado and told me he already looked at it and the back window is about to fall out because the roofs so bad. He said it was worth about 300 bucks as scrap/ disc brake donor. So no eldo for me (this time around)

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Sorry you didn't get the car, Kevin. But, to answer your question, the 472 (and it's variant 500/425/368 engines) is one of the smoothest, most durable motors ever made. My 69 FWB was severely neglected for years before I bought it, an yet it traveled from Tucson, AZ, to my home in Newbury Park, CA (about 600 miles), in one go with no issue whatever. Sooooo much torque! They really make these old cruisers fly! If you have the opportunity to get one in decent nick, buy it. You won't be disappointed, at least with the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts