Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
None
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could bother some of you for your opinions. I am currently looking at buying a 2005 CTS, and figured who better to ask then the ones that drive the beautiful things every day. I have loved caddy's for the longest time and have always wanted one. Is there anythign I should be watchful for, pros and cons of the car, past histories of different problems. A littel about the car like said already it is a 2005 and as around 74,000 km on it. Beige in color and I took it out already and drives amazingly. What should I look at or stay clear of.....

Thanks everyone in advance and If I get one hope to see you at an event!

Dave

·
Registered
2004 CTS
10 Posts
I just bought a 2004 and love it. I did take it and have it looked over by a pro with a lift. Have heard there are some Timing belt problems with the 05-07 models, also if your in a cold climate (I assume your Canada) there is a coupling that can corrode and break on the bottom of the radiator. Tis is a lead to thetransmission and I guess if it oes there is not enough warning before the transmission is toast. Alot of gys are installing external tranny coolers to keep from frying the tranny (around 150 US dollars installed)
If its in good shape I say buy it and keep an eye on those 2 things, every car has good and bads and this car outweighs the bad by alot.

And welcome tothe forums!

·
Registered
None
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you never want to worry about mechanical issues buy a honda. if you want sweet luxury and performance buy a cts.
I don't know if you are trying to be rude but your post sounds that way. I work for Honda and don't believe that because it is a honda it doesn't have issues, all cars have there issues. Some have more than others. Thats all i am asking about.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
if you never want to worry about mechanical issues buy a honda. if you want sweet luxury and performance buy a cts.
plenty of hondas have their issues...yes you can buy a SOCH ZC non vtech for $300...but if the engines are soo great why is Japan auto selling more of these than J-Z's last album?
hondas burn crazy amounts of oil.

the CTS is a great car, nice to drive and makes a proud owner out of you very fast. things to look out for are oil consumption, brake line recall, transmission cooler line where it connects to the rad is weak, but if fixed before it breaks its a cheap fix, and the differential has a howling issue....but im starting to think that was a partial assembly flaw because although it is a very known issue i havent seen many threads on it recently...maybe its because people have it and get it fixed, or maybe those who were affected have had them replaced and the issue didnt return.
my diff had the output shaft seals replaced when i first got it, i noticed a small leak, but the fluid level was still up high enough and no noise from it.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
7 Posts
ok then your right GM has been making the same reliable quality cars and trucks as Toyota and Honda has for the last ten years. ive never owned a vehicle that wasnt a GM but cmon you dont buy a caddy to put 250,000 trouble free miles on. yes all cars do have problems. and sorry Dal if you thought i meant to be rude i absolutly was not and the cts is a great car waaaaaaay better than the lincoln LS

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
the LS is a disaster..........

·
Registered
None
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This stuff is great, my plan is to write this information down so I can take the car into my mechanic and check the car out, and really focus on some of these known issues. ANd see about fixing before things happen.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
If you want to do preventative maintenance, the main thing I'd point you to look at, even more important then the timing chain, is the trans cooler lines that run into the radiator at the bottom. The connection is brittle. I had my lines changed and the connection gave out. I threw in an external trans cooler and ran the lines into that, then capped up the rad with the plug and some jb weld so it wouldn't leak or come out.

A new rad is on my list maybe in the summer, but I saved myself having to blow the trans line and lose oil, and possibly suck coolant back into the trans and damage the trans too (which has happened to several members on this forum). The bill for the repair on that isn't small either. $40 ext cooler saves over $2k in bills.

·
Registered
'05 CTS 2.8L - Silver - 6 Speed Manual
108 Posts
If you want to do preventative maintenance, the main thing I'd point you to look at, even more important then the timing chain, is the trans cooler lines that run into the radiator at the bottom. The connection is brittle. I had my lines changed and the connection gave out. I threw in an external trans cooler and ran the lines into that, then capped up the rad with the plug and some jb weld so it wouldn't leak or come out.

A new rad is on my list maybe in the summer, but I saved myself having to blow the trans line and lose oil, and possibly suck coolant back into the trans and damage the trans too (which has happened to several members on this forum). The bill for the repair on that isn't small either. $40 ext cooler saves over $2k in bills.
Are radiator problems an issue just in cold climates, or is that something to be watching for in the South as well?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L Thunder Grey
203 Posts
For the price of these cars used, you really cant find a better deal (in the luxury/performance sector). However, like all cars, the CTS comes with its share of maintenance needs. Just realize that when you buy a cadillac, your maintenance costs are substantially higher than they would be if you were to buy a Chevy/Honda/Nissan etc. Also, these cars are far from "bulletproof" so I suggest that you pick up an extended warranty. The 07s and up came with a 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain. If your car has the 3.6L, I personally recommend purchasing some sort of engine warranty (if the price is right).

Ive had my 07 since October, and love the way the car handles and drives. Its a very nice blend of mediocre performance, and handling capability. However, it has not been an "issue free" car. Certainly far less issues so far than my 07 Impala SS had, but the car needs a valve seal replacement and new piston rings (just found out today)... it has been using a significant amount of oil. Hopefully this will fix my issue and I can continue to enjoy my CTS for a long time! But bottom line, if the price is right, the CTS is a solid choice for a used car. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had bought a higher mileage 05 and bought an extended warranty as opposed to dropping the extra coin on a low mile 07 with factory warranty. Sounds like you are on the right track here.

·
Registered
'07 CTS black on black 3.6 FE5 'Nadine'
163 Posts
Probably, with all the road salt more so up here ; or at least it exacerbates the problem .
Check your carfax for the location of the original dealer who sold your car .

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
would the trans cooler line be covered under the 100,000 power train warranty if it goes? I still have a warranty until june or july and want to wait til close to then to put in an external trans cooler.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
Are radiator problems an issue just in cold climates, or is that something to be watching for in the South as well?
these radiator hoses blowing off are everywhere...i live in the south and mine blew off on three different occasions...the road salt like an above poster has nothing to do with it

·
Registered
None
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really want to thank everyone for there comments. I think we have made our decision, we have been looking at 2 different cars and yes I know they are not in the same class but there are the same price. But I think we are leaning towards the CTS after all. It really depends on the dealer will allow me to take to my mechanic to look over it for any major problems, and we do have intention of getting a warranty for it. The warranty is a powertrain and optional seals and gaskets.

Once everything is said and done i will post some pics of it.

·
Registered
None (yet)
7 Posts
Thinking of buying used 2006 CTS...

Hi.
Recently I started thinking about changing my car to something newer, something better. I was looking through car dealer websites and one car that caught my eye was this white 2006 Cadillac CTS. Im linking to it because there is too much information there to just copy it here. I am wondering what can you tell me about its specs. Is it good? I don't want to buy something that will break after a few miles, and I'm not a car guru, so I came for help here. I'd be very grateful for any advice about this model (I really like the design and the white color)

Here is the pic:

I like it. Very elegant.

·
Registered
07 CTS
9 Posts
Re: Thinking of buying used 2006 CTS...

I like the white, mine is black 07. I paid $19 for mine last year. Lower miles, loaded. Nav, XM - sport package. To me, price seems a bit high. That looks to be a base model with sunroof.

This is my 2nd CTS. I had an 03 - white. Quality is there, along with a few bugs. On the 03, misfires - problems with injectors. Easy fix, just too long to diagnose. Transmission bugs too. I sold it and went for the 07. I've put a lot of miles on my 07 and it is one amazing car. I love it, great styling, nice ride. The 03 had no extras, the 07 has everything. So that is a big plus. I'm going to drive this car to the 200K mark easy.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,497 Posts

Watch out for rear differential issues. Drive the car and if you hear any kind of hum or vibration from the rear, walk.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts

Hi.
Recently I started thinking about changing my car to something newer, something better. I was looking through car dealer websites and one car that caught my eye was this white 2006 Cadillac CTS. Im linking to it because there is too much information there to just copy it here. I am wondering what can you tell me about its specs. Is it good? I don't want to buy something that will break after a few miles, and I'm not a car guru, so I came for help here. I'd be very grateful for any advice about this model (I really like the design and the white color)

Here is the pic:

I like it. Very elegant.
you may want an 07, if I'm not mistaken that's when they came out with the 100k mile power train warranty. This is off the top of my head I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts