Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a newer car since my 2000 Maxima caught fire a couple weeks ago and was totaled.

I've had my heart on the 2004-2005 Deville for a while. It's a beautiful looking car, plan to test drive one tomorrow yet my major concern is future maintenance issues. I was able to do a lot of work on my own with the Maxima so how easy is it to work on the Deville if a problem arises? Are parts reasonably priced and easy to come by (AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys...etc)? Looking through this forum and others this car seems to have a lot of problems with the steering rack problem as a major concern. Others post about oil consumption, electric problems, suspension and the A/C going out. Other than that I see this car on the road, have yet to ask an owner how this car treats them maintenance wise.

Currently on the market in my area are a couple of Devilles (2004) with about 80,000 miles for around $10,500.

All that said thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
69 Posts
Wow thats a pretty hefty price for a 04 or 05 with 80k miles... Bought my 02 with 90k miles last year for $6k.. Even if the Deville you speak of is a DTS with the softtop I still couldnt see spending that much.. To each his own though

·
Registered
NONE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Cubanyoshi. In my area Kelly Blue Book shows a 2004 in excellent condition for $9400. Two cars (2004) I test drove today were going for $12000 (56,000 miles) and $10000 (104,000 miles). The car with 104k seemed to perform very well overall. It was clean, the engine felt very powerful and I guess since it's a heavy car the braking was a little tough. Then again I was driving a little Toyota Yaris rental just before that.

The car with 56k seemed to be in worse condition. The engine felt very sluggish and the fuel consumption meter was showing 9.4 miles per gallon. Anyway, maintenance wise I'm not confident about the cars holding up with respect to future repairs or potential breakdowns.

·
Registered
Cadillac
282 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't spend thousands on a used car with over 100,000 miles, no matter how good it drove. And generally, I wouldn't consider any Cadillac as "easy maintenance". Some repairs that are quite simple on other cars (starter, alternator, heater core, blower motor, motor mounts, etc., are a royal PITA on a Caddy. Also, the depreciation on Devilles and Sevilles is ridiculous, so there's tons of nice Caddys out there. I think both cars you're thinking about are 1-2 grand over what they should be, and I'd recommend checking a sales site like cars.com to see what's out there in your area. Keep in mind that anything over 12,000 miles a year is considered "high mileage" for a luxury car, and the price should be discounted accordingly. The performance and mileage of these cars is quite consistent, but you can't take the average mileage on the dash display as anything reliable until you know how the car has been driven. You can fill up the tank, reset the display, and drive the car an easy 20 miles on the interstate, and it will register an accurate (average) 25-27 mpg. Then pull it in your driveway and let it idle for 20 minutes and the mileage will drop to around 10 mpg. (Idling = ZERO mpg)

IMHO, you should drive a Caddy because you like it, because it makes you feel good! Don't buy one because you think it will be more reliable or easier to work on than any other car - because the odds are that it won't.

·
Registered
2005 Deville DTS, 1993 Fleetwood, 1997 Deville
40 Posts
My 05 Deville DTS has been flawless with 70,000 on the odo and nothing but fluid changes. Maintenance is more expensive, but if you run into any problems, pull codes (see sticky above) and you may be able to fix many problems on your own, and not have to go to a dealer.
Do research here, this is where you will find the most accurate info.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
69 Posts
Car has been a PITA and has needed repairs now and then but overall I love this car.. This is only the second car I have owned (first car had from age 16-21) and dont ever plan on owning anything other than Cadillac.. Next car will be the later model year DTS

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Since you're looking at relatively late models, it shouldn't be too hard to get a maintenance history on any car you're considering. This will tell you volumes, as most GM cars that experience serial issues will likely continue to have them. Conversely, cars that required little more than routine maintenance have a good chance of remaining so. If you're buying from the dealer who sold it new, they should have at least the warranty records, and unless they have something to hide, they should be happy to show them to you. If you can talk to the previous owner, even better.
All that said, keep two things in mind:
1) My favorite axiom is there is no such thing as a cheap luxury car.
2) My favorite mechanic's axiom (he was speaking of Jaguars here, but it applies) "It will either be your dream car or your worst nightmare. It might even be both."

·
Registered
NONE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I understand what I'm potentially dealing with much more. It's a luxury car so if I plan on purchasing one I better go ahead and make sure I have the money for repairs. I would expect the same for purchasing an older Mercedes, Audi, Bentley or any other luxury car. My other option other than the Deville is a Toyota Camry so I might go with that.

·
Registered
2004 Devillle Base 120k miles
36 Posts
I bought a 04 Deville base with 110,000 on it last November and have put 10k miles on it so far. I paid $6300 out the door from a dealership, but it was the last day of the month and the dealership was changing hands on December 1. The interior was absolutely cherry, one car owner. I have had to change the front wheel bearings and the motor mounts so far, my mechanic charged me $1400 for both of these items. Other than an annoying air bag light that I can't seem to get rid of, the darn car is a dream. You get:

1. 5 hour car trips that your back doesn't feel like has been playing the drums on it
2. Crazy power for the idiot at the stop light who thinks you are in an old man car
3. Great gas mileage on the freeway, I get 27 mpg at 70 mph
4. Insurance rates that are almost free
5. An air conditioner that gets you comfortable in about 2 minutes even when it is 100 degrees out, plus push the "butt chiller" button and you are comfortable whithin minutes

I love this car. Parts are expensive, but their are enough caddies around so finding a good mechanic away from the dealers should be no problem. HAVE A GOOD MECHANIC CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. Hope this helps

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,304 Posts
glennsdeville - Your annoying air bag light: With the key ON and both front doors open, move the driver's seat and headrest to all limits of travel - three times. Now fully extend and retract the shoulder and lap belt 3 times. Do the same for the passenger seat. Turn the key OFF and remove it. Shut the doors. Get out and fully extend and retract the lap/shoulder belts again. Get in, buckle up and START. SIR light gone ??

·
Registered
01 DTS,02 Deville,94 Concours,50 Sedan,03 S55,03 Excursion
105 Posts
I have purchased a 2001 RED DTS, an 2002 DEVILLE, and owned an 1994 DEVILLE CONCOURS for a long time. 88,000 miles for $6K two years ago for the DTS. $10k for the Base Deville 68,000 miles on it two years ago as well. And the 94 been around forever with 77k on it. Regulators yes........... 2 please. Radiator yes............ two please. Plenum gasket yes.......2 please get the picture. In think the 02 is about to crap a wheel bearing as well. The funny thing is the 94 has only needed a wheel bearing and a radiator in almost 17 years of service. But the other two have been a little more stubborn. Just the same I love them all. Can get enough of the DTS. Caddy's are like little kids. When you get them you know they are going to cost you. But you love them know matter how much you cost you.

Mack

·
Registered
02 DeVille Base
86 Posts
glennsdeville - Your annoying air bag light: With the key ON and both front doors open, move the driver's seat and headrest to all limits of travel - three times. Now fully extend and retract the shoulder and lap belt 3 times. Do the same for the passenger seat. Turn the key OFF and remove it. Shut the doors. Get out and fully extend and retract the lap/shoulder belts again. Get in, buckle up and START. SIR light gone ??
I'm hoping you're not joking here. (grin)
Will this routine fix an "air bag" light that only gives warning when it's very cold outside? I only see this problem 4 or 5 times throughout the winter months.

·
Registered
NONE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the latest posts. I really wish this version of Deville was more reliable hence I would purchase one. Everytime I see one of these cars on the road I salivate a bit but I need something reliable. I don't want to be pouring money into a car I don't have despite the sweet looks and pimp status of the car. If I had a lot of money I would definitely go for this car and let the shops work things out if something goes wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts