Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have a car with this motor what is your opinion of it? Everything I have heard about this motor is horrible. I am looking to buy a 84 eldo with this motor and want to know if there are any options for a motor swap? I was thinking a 350 from the early 80's model.

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,492 Posts
The 4.1 worked great in the mini deville 85-88. My 86 had the original 4.1 till 124k when a main bearing went out The only reason for a bad bearing would be the lack of maintenance and coolant got into the oil and wrecked the bearing.

The second 4.1 was still running great when i sold it with 207k miles on it. So that engine only had about 80k on it but it ran just like new. The replacement engine was a brand new not reman in 1996 so it obvioulsy had more power than the stock (10-15 hp i guess). But it drove around plenty good and better than most for 1986. Man an old 1986 honda would easily loose in a race.

Ive never driven the "big" cars with a 4.1 but everyone says they need about twice the power. Not sure how that would be, your talking a vette motor in 1986 to produce 250hp. Cars just didnt have any power back then.

I had super good luck with my 4.1 and ive seen originals with over 200k around here all the time.

Good luck!!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
IMO it is the worse motor Cadillac made. As I tell everyone who asks about 4100 cars, if the rest of the car is in good shape and the price is right, pick it up and drive it until the 4100 dies, then there are alot of engine choices for a swap at that point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts