S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Regardless of brand, DEXRON VI is superior to III, and it is synthetic only. There will be no difference in performance, however.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool so whats best to switch to DEXRON IV or stick with the III, i see the IV is a little more expensive is it worth the cost?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
GM changed to all DEXRON-VI in mid-2006. It is now used as replacement for ALL obsolete DEXRON-III.

Exactly the same as - when your car was built the API engine oil service designation was SL or SM - those are now superseded and engine oil on the shelves is service SN.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
I believe the dex3 name sort of went away. U can buy trans fluid that meets dex3 specs now. Label says so. I assume there is a market for "universal" trans fluid.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
There is a LOT of DEXRON-III on parts shelves around the world. As far as the "universal" transmission fluid thing goes, DEXRON-III and DEXRON-VI are 100% compatible and mixable frontwards and backwards.

If you mixed X quarts of -III and X quarts of -VI you would create your own "synthetic blend".

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville (186,000), 1996 Impala SS DCM (135,000)
14 Posts
Just dropped the pan this weekend and swapped in 4 qts of the valvoline dex/merc, 2.5 qts of the maxlife, and some lubegard red. Made a smooth transmission shift and drop into gear even smoother.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts