Cadillac Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

· Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; Audi RS6 Avant; '16 ATS-V Sedan gone; '10 CTS LongRoof gone
20,680 Posts
Holy Toledo! That's an 'amazing' price.

Hmmm, on second thought I hope they get it!

· Registered
112 Posts
As to the new-to-me CT4-V Blackwing... I think this may finally be the one. I've been through a lot cars over the years, looking for one car that could be all things at all times. The closest I ever got was a VW Golf R, but it was just... bored, with the daily commute. It wanted to be cruising the Autobahn at 120+ mph and going through fast sweepers at 80+ mph.

The CT4-V BW pulls off being both engaging in low speed corners and high speed sweepers. It's as fun doing a short-shifting pull to 60 mph as it is going wide open to significantly more. It's willing to have fun on your terms. That's a difficult thing to pull off with modern cars, but GM did.

· Registered
112 Posts
A few hundred miles and a couple weeks later, I figure I'd add some more impressions now that I've had time with the car, and done a couple weeks worth of commuting with it (this is my only car and daily driver, as I originally said it would be).

I can't reiterate just how well the car is always down for whatever you're doing. Chill and easy in traffic, but always ready at a moment's notice to surge forward, or take a quick turn. I don't think I've ever owned a car that was so agreeable to me, the drvier, no matter what I'm doing. I loved my Miata, but it had no chill, and could never be a great cruiser. Likewise, the Golf R was great for highway cruising, but was completely lifeless on the daily commute or a twisty backroad.

I'm seeing about 17 mpg in city driving, and low 20's when on the back roads of Northern Virginia. No highway miles of note yet, though I've got some driving coming up in September. It did take some getting used to the brake by wire for low-load braking (stopping in traffic), but that's really the only weirdness I've experienced with the car, and it's a pretty minor nitpick. I've not stalled anything manual in years, but I did stall the Blackwing once while getting used to how the twin disc clutch bites (it's not like any of the single disc things I've owned). I don't like over-revving on starting, so I always try for the lowest smooth RPM to get rolling... and that did catch me out once.

I can't think of much else, because there really hasn't been anything else that has come up. It's just a really well sorted car, and probably the best balanced jack-of-all-trades I've ever experienced.

· Registered
898 Posts
Oh, well... one thing: brake dust. Holy cow the brake dust. Your front wheels will never be clean, especially if they're the polished wheels like mine.
Having an ATS-V with probably the same brake pad compound I know the feeling. After a few days of driving the wheels are damn near black.

Ceramic coating the wheels along with using an air compressor to blow off the dust every time you get home will stretch out the interval between washings.

Changing to ceramic pads will really stretch out the cleaning intervals (and be easier on the rotors) but you will give up brake performance, especially in repeated back to back stops.

· Registered
112 Posts
One month update. I've got about 800 miles with it now.

I've gotten comfortable enough with it that I've been exploring the different PTM modes, flat foot shifting, and one luanch control start. Butt dyno says that "Dry" mode is a solid 20% power cut, and maybe 10% for "Sport". "Race", of course, is the full beans. "Sport" is enough to have some fun hanging the rear end out, but slows things down enough to give you a little more time to process what's happening. "Dry" cuts enough power that it doesn't really want to get loose at all. It feels more manageable than even my Miata... I definitely get why GM gets a lot of praise for their PTM system, it's legitimately world class tech.

Flat foot shifting is what it says on the box. I love that it's always there in any mode, and the noise on gear changes adds that little bit of drama for good measure. It's also a lot easier to play with on a regular basis. Launch control is especially dramatic with the exhaust open, and impressive in how well controlled it is. Though I feel like this car really isn't about what it can do in a standing start. Again, though, I appreciate the simplicity of how to activate it.

Magnetic ride control; again, this is world class tech. "Tour" feels like what my Golf R was like in all modes, comfortable and controlled, but undramatic. Perfect chill out mode, but not so soft as to feel disconnected from the road. "Sport" ups the sensation of speed without making it feel like the struts have been changed out for Ebay coilovers. I actually find myself at lower speeds in "Sport" because of that sensation, which is great. It almost gives the car a bit of a "slow car fast" feeling. Almost. "Race" is just a bit too brutal for most uses, though it's by no means as bad as something like a Camaro ZL1 1LE or a Focus RS.

Lastly I just wanted to touch on the exhaust note. It's taken me some time to pin down the love/hate opinions on it, and I think I finally figured it out: most of the negatives on it came from reviews that were done in automatic press cars. It's a case where something is actually too good, and takes away from the experience. All those tight gears means the engine is always sticking around very narrow RPM ranges, so you don't get much tonal variety. Hold any engine at a specific RPM for a long time, and tell me that's an enjoyable sound. I don't care what engine it is. The manual gives you flat foot shiting timing cuts, wider sweeps through the revolutions between gears, and all the little imperfections that a dry clutch transmits through sound and feel that a torque converted automatic will mask. It's no supercharged V8, but the manual adds so much to the tonal experience of the V6. If you can drive a manual, buy it in manual.

Anyway, that turned in to quite a long-winded post, but I hope that provides some valuable owner insigit for prospective buyers.

· Registered
112 Posts

· Registered
2017 ATS-V
562 Posts
Saw that this morning. Don't think anyone has done the back to back comparison .
This was a great article. It is sad that the CT4 Blackwing will only have a limited run as we are forced into electric cars. Many of our fellow car enthusiasts will not have the opportunity to own one of these fine machines due to their rarity.

· Registered
20,680 Posts
This was a great article. It is sad that the CT4 Blackwing will only have a limited run as we are forced into electric cars. Many of our fellow car enthusiasts will not have the opportunity to own one of these fine machines due to their rarity.
I know what thread I'm in, but I'm going to say it anyway...but because I really want a wagon and I know we're at the end of the line for internal combustion engines I'm placing an order for an Audi RS6 Avant. I want the room and I want a performance car. This will be a stable mate to my CTS-V wagon.

· Registered
112 Posts
I know what thread I'm in, but I'm going to say it anyway...but because I really want a wagon and I know we're at the end of the line for internal combustion engines I'm placing an order for an Audi RS6 Avant. I want the room and I want a performance car. This will be a stable mate to my CTS-V wagon.
If an ATS-V or CT4-V Blackwing was offered in wagon form, I would have gone after one without hesitation. I might have even thought about an BMW M3 Touring if it had been brought over here. As much as I love my longroofs, though, I'd rather have the manual transmission. The utility is a "nice to have", but the stick is a "must have."

· Registered
20,680 Posts
If an ATS-V or CT4-V Blackwing was offered in wagon form, I would have gone after one without hesitation. I might have even thought about an BMW M3 Touring if it had been brought over here. As much as I love my longroofs, though, I'd rather have the manual transmission. The utility is a "nice to have", but the stick is a "must have."
I cannot disagree with one word you posted. You nailed it.

· Registered
2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
1,600 Posts
I most recently came from an Audi S5 SB. It’s a fine car but it lacks the soul and feel of the Alpha chassis Caddys. The ride and steering are numb. I remember when I first got the S5 having just driven 2 CTS Vsports over 6 years thinking there is something missing with this car.

The utility of the S5 was better than my BW bUt for me that’s a distant second.

That all said the RS6 is sweet. You’ll love it, I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
898 Posts
Other than a couple little initial quality issues (buzzy driver's door midrange speaker issue and what is apparently a bad seatbelt retractor switch on the passenger side that throws open circuit codes and a warning on the cluster several times per drive) I'm really, really liking my car so far-- it's everything my ATS-V was and more, with all the little annoyances fixed and many things improved.

One thing that does bug me about my CT4-BW because it messes with my OCD... the turn signal indicators on the cluster aren't synced to the actual turn signals-- they flash at different frequencies and are out of sync. When I see a reflection of the front turn signals in the car in front of me or catch the signals in the side mirrors out of the corner of my eye, they don't flash at the same time or with the same frequency as the flashing arrows on the dash. And now that I've noticed it I can't help but notice it. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
20,680 Posts
LOL, you need to get rid of it. I heard they fixed that issue on the CT5V BW. (jk)

· Registered
112 Posts
Other than a couple little initial quality issues (buzzy driver's door midrange speaker issue and what is apparently a bad seatbelt retractor switch on the passenger side that throws open circuit codes and a warning on the cluster several times per drive) I'm really, really liking my car so far-- it's everything my ATS-V was and more, with all the little annoyances fixed and many things improved.

One thing that does bug me about my CT4-BW because it messes with my OCD... the turn signal indicators on the cluster aren't synced to the actual turn signals-- they flash at different frequencies and are out of sync. When I see a reflection of the front turn signals in the car in front of me or catch the signals in the side mirrors out of the corner of my eye, they don't flash at the same time or with the same frequency as the flashing arrows on the dash. And now that I've noticed it I can't help but notice it. :ROFLMAO:
I've studied this, because that's how my OCD works as well... and they're not flashing at a different rate, they're just lagging behind the actual signals. Or maybe the signals are lagging behind the screen. Either way the actual duration of the flash is correct, but the on/off timing is not.

Also had some buzzing/rattlig that I traced down a while ago, an access panel next to the passenger side air vent. The panel is trimmed incorrectly, and a bit of it sticks out just enough to prevent one of the three locking tabs from fully enaging. This is also the primary locking tab, so a toddler could pull the panel off if they so desired. Needless to say, it vibrates on certain roads, and reminds me that this is still a GM product.

· Registered
20,680 Posts
After giving you grief I have to agree with you. I mentally count the signals and the timing with my actual lane change (yes I am not a real Florida man, I signal lane changes along with turns). Your issue would bother me. That being said, I would accept the challenge to 'figure it out' and work with it.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts