Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Curious if anyone has gone from having a daily driver plus a fun car down to just one fun car?

I have a CT6 that is almost done on its lease plus a 2013 Mustang GT as my summer toy.

since Covid I have only put 2k miles on my mustang in 2 years.

thinking of a BW 6 speed to driver every day plus occasional auto cross and track day.

anyone made this move and did you regret it?

· Registered
11 Posts
I plan to daily drive my BW. I'm coming from an S2000 that I daily drove for 14 years. I don't live in an area that snows and perhaps that might have been an issue. Going to a BW seems like luxury in comparison. But even if I was coming from a more conventional vehicle, I still think a BW is a reasonable DD. I'm used to driving a manual and prefer it even thought at times it's more work in traffic. So far, the clutch is on the lighter side and it engages well so I don't have an issue with driving it in traffic, although I don't have a lot of traffic in my commutes. The tour mode is very livable for regular driving. I don't track but this is one of the intended uses of this car as I understand it. It flexible enough to go from the track to driving it daily. I've only had mine for about a month but daily driving is a non issue. Who knows, I might even sell my S2000. I will say that I don't regret getting this with the intention to DD it. I wanted a performance oriented car that was fun to drive. The manual to me adds to that joy. This is my first Cadillac and I'd say it's about what I expected.

· Registered
2017 ATS-V
562 Posts
Those of you who have actually driven one of these Blackwings, please tell me how you like the handling, steering, and seat comfort. Please add anything else about your driving experience good or bad. I want to order one, but without any cars available to see or drive, this is like ordering when blind.

· Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,953 Posts
I am happy with my CT4V. I have not driven a BW.

If you can test a CT4V or CT5V you will get a good feel and the BW then will add more perf.

Although not much power, the CT4 Sport will give you info on seats + an idea.

· Registered
2017 ATS-V
562 Posts
I've only put 200 miles on my BW so far, but the best I can describe the driving experience is like better version of the ATS-V. The interior and creature comforts are far superior to that car though. It actually feels like a special car.
I wish I could see and drive one. I may travel to Bellingham Washington. They have one at the dealership. It has 1800 miles and they are asking 88k for a used car. Supply and demand.

· Registered
53 Posts
I wish I could see and drive one. I may travel to Bellingham Washington. They have one at the dealership. It has 1800 miles and they are asking 88k for a used car. Supply and demand.
Wow that's pretty crazy...I was able to secure one at msrp back when I ordered in August. When with black paint, black wheels, red calipers, and the tan and black upgraded interior (I def recommend this over the standard seats). I love the car so far. The difference between drive modes is as big as the mags make it seem. I prefer everything turned up in custom v mode

· Premium Member
2022 CT4-V Blackwing MT, 2014 CTS Vsport
377 Posts
I'm coming from a CTS Vsport and I just put 3800 miles on my black wing driving it home to California from New Jersey. First 1500 miles a lot of back roads and two lane blacktop. I also have those tan and black high-performance seats. I think only a skinny guy would be truly comfortable in them with the bolstering set as wide as possible. Even so they weren't so tight that I regret having them. When I tracked the Vsport I would slide from the center consul to the driver side armrest so I'm sure these are going to be great at the track.
And like mentioned above, the different driving modes are very noticeable in the steering feedback & suspension. From my experience the car does handle great. It has a really tight turn-in and I love the way the backend feels to dig in when you're going hard through some twisties. It cost a hell of a lot of money but I know I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it.

· Registered
2017 ATS-V
562 Posts
I'm coming from a CTS Vsport and I just put 3800 miles on my black wing driving it home to California from New Jersey. First 1500 miles a lot of back roads and two lane blacktop. I also have those tan and black high-performance seats. I think only a skinny guy would be truly comfortable in them with the bolstering set as wide as possible. Even so they weren't so tight that I regret having them. When I tracked the Vsport I would slide from the center consul to the driver side armrest so I'm sure these are going to be great at the track.
And like mentioned above, the different driving modes are very noticeable in the steering feedback & suspension. From my experience the car does handle great. It has a really tight turn-in and I love the way the backend feels to dig in when you're going hard through some twisties. It cost a hell of a lot of money but I know I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it.
What route did you take? Weren't you a bit concerned about not having a spare?

· Premium Member
377 Posts
I generally followed US route 1 & I-95. A lot of 301 some 401 a little 701 some Highway 18 for quite a ways and wherever else the route guidance system took me that avoided I-95. Pretty much the same idea in Florida following the kind of roads where I could use my brakes, shift gears, alternate my speed, RPMs and engine load. Then after 1500 miles I was hauling ass on I-10 west.
I'm fine with what Cadillac has done for deprecating the spare tire. The tires are all self sealing and there is a 12v air pump in the trunk. Worst case call some 1 800 number.

· Registered
53 Posts
I generally followed US route 1 & I-95. A lot of 301 some 401 a little 701 some Highway 18 for quite a ways and wherever else the route guidance system took me that avoided I-95. Pretty much the same idea in Florida following the kind of roads where I could use my brakes, shift gears, alternate my speed, RPMs and engine load. Then after 1500 miles I was hauling ass on I-10 west.
I'm fine with what Cadillac has done for deprecating the spare tire. The tires are all self sealing and there is a 12v air pump in the trunk. Worst case call some 1 800 number.
So I've noticed there is a "redline" on tbe tach at like 4500rpms, but it still lets you rev over that. Does that red go away once you bit break in 1500 mi?

· Premium Member
377 Posts
I never noticed the red line even though I had read about it. I had my display in sport mode most of the way but I did put it in track mode fairly often and I simply don't remember ever seeing the marker line.

· Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,953 Posts
I have to retract part of my statement above, the tires are characterized as 'stop-flat', and I don't know what that means.
I see the order guide has Stop-Flat for the BW, with inflator kit. This appears to be new on BW.
The CT4 Luxury has Self-Seal tires, that can seal a nail.
I think only the Run Flat tires can be driven on with no air, up to 50 miles.

Stop-Flat + Self-Seal probably run smoother than Run Flat.

· Registered
33 Posts
my car is more then i need , its limits is drive turain more then my driving skills . the car is fast enough to feel it lifting the front wheels up a bit if tires hot and smooth road . its not scary but needs to be understood . i have a cooper works super charged mini cooper, while that car cant compete in a line it can do turns as good without settings things up for such turns . lighter wins of just power . i was going to get a porch but glad i did not . such cars cannot or should not be driven daily . the BW is a car you can do both with . im glad i got a ct4 not 5 as the 5 is heavier as such slower on track and turns . the car can stop extremely fast if need be . i love the car over all .

· Registered
2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
1,600 Posts
my car is more then i need , its limits is drive turain more then my driving skills . the car is fast enough to feel it lifting the front wheels up a bit if tires hot and smooth road . its not scary but needs to be understood . i have a cooper works super charged mini cooper, while that car cant compete in a line it can do turns as good without settings things up for such turns . lighter wins of just power . i was going to get a porch but glad i did not . such cars cannot or should not be driven daily . the BW is a car you can do both with . im glad i got a ct4 not 5 as the 5 is heavier as such slower on track and turns . the car can stop extremely fast if need be . i love the car over all .
The 5 lapped VIR over 6 seconds quicker than the 4. Check out Car and Driver Lightning Lap XV article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 101 Posts