Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents had GEICO for several decades and I don’t think their going to change at all.

I’ve had Allstate for over 10 years. Since I have the top tier, I also have the vanishing deductible and currently at $0. I even have access to USAA for auto insurance, which is only accessible to military, vets and their dependent. Some say they are by far the cheapest, but Allstate still beats them for me.

What insurance do y’all go with? How long have you been with them? Have a vanishing deductible or any other special feature you like?

KOT

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
77,619 Posts
I've been with State Farm since 06/1974 (13 cars and trucks plus homeowners) and have no complaints. Before that I was an add-on to Dad's automobile policies with The Hartford which was a total disaster both service and financial - wise.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
1,098 Posts
Your location, age, vehicle and driving history all play a part in how much money insurance costs. I shop for insurance costs every year. I was with Nationwide for ten years until they wanted too much to insure a new motorcycle I bought. I’ve priced several companies and still do every renewal period and surprisingly, Geico gave me the best price this year and the year before. It’s a PITA to shop for prices each year but since it’s my money I’m spending I’ll continue shopping come renewal time.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
1,216 Posts
For me, I think having an honorable and loyal agent is the most important factor. A real person I can contact re-assures me that all will be taken care of.
It happens that my agent is from State Farm.

Years ago, I was solicited by another company who wanted to review my policy and will try to beat the premium price. After review, he got back to me to tell me that I had a great policy and should keep it.

·
Registered
2021 XT6 Premium Luxury, also 2006 Pontiac Solstice base
76 Posts
We've been with State Farm since I've been driving and later we got married. All 3 cars with full coverage as well as homeowners. Just a very reliable company, we've been through several agents in our many years, but always received great service.

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,912 Posts
Seems to be a running theme. State Farm is by no means the absolute 'cheapest' carrier, - there's some dogdirt lo-ball 'nothing covered - guaranteed grief at every turn' cos. out there. But SF has kept from becoming the source of elevated blood pressure increased heartburn sufficiently to remain my carrier continuously for 46 years. Some pluses others may or may not offer: multi-car and 'bundled homeowners' discounts, safe driver, garaged, 'unbroken coverage' (contiguous running policy), and low annual miles schedules. The claims process has lost much of the human interaction (neg.), but the adjustment and settlement process is fast and fair (pos.).

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
7,228 Posts
We were with State Farm for auto and homeowners for 30+ years. When we moved to the boonies 8 years ago State Farm wasn't cooperative and wanted to surcharge because our fire department is volunteer. My sister referred me to the local Texas Farm Bureau agent who not only got me same coverage for less money, they gave me a credit because our house has a metal roof.

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
923 Posts
I even have access to USAA for auto insurance, which is only accessible to military, vets and their dependent. Some say they are by far the cheapest, but Allstate still beats them for me.
KOT
Thing with USAA is that at year end they pay big dividends to policy holders. If you are comparing prices without counting that, it isn't apples to apples. They are fair and fast with claims, too. Just a thought, 40+ years with USAA.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,884 Posts
I have been with State Farm for years. If you have it for your house also, there is a discount.

You need a clean driving record for 3 years or so, to get into their best rates, in the mutual part.

They have Drive Safe and Save, which checks your On-Star for miles driven. With low miles,
due to CV, my rate went down $100 for 6 months period. You have to have GM On-Star and

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thing with USAA is that at year end they pay big dividends to policy holders. If you are comparing prices without counting that, it isn't apples to apples. They are fair and fast with claims, too. Just a thought, 40+ years with USAA.
Wait, what? I’ve never heard of this dividends payback. Can you tell me more about it?

KOT

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,982 Posts
I had Farmers for almost 15 years - cars - house - boat -
good coverage - but expensive

I recently switched to American Family -
cars house - boat - and a million dollar umbrella -
ended up with better coverage and saved $900 for the year

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
923 Posts
Wait, what? I’ve never heard of this dividends payback. Can you tell me more about it?
KOT
It's not guaranteed - based on their actual results during the year. But USAA has paid it every year that I can recall. Goes up and down but mostly up. Call them and they'll tell you what % of premiums they've paid out in the last few years, and then you can subtract that from the insurance quote. It's more money if you add home/apartment/umbrella insurance with them, too, of course.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
19,365 Posts
Remember, many insurance companies pull a credit report. The higher your credit rating the better your premium.

Reactions: Jakerin

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
1,098 Posts
Even a different zip code can make a difference. One year I moved nine miles away, same city and just nine miles away but a different zip code. My premium was reduced.

·
Registered
2021 XT6 Premium Luxury, also 2006 Pontiac Solstice base
76 Posts
I have been with State Farm for years. If you have it for your house also, there is a discount.

You need a clean driving record for 3 years or so, to get into their best rates, in the mutual part.

They have Drive Safe and Save, which checks your On-Star for miles driven. With low miles,
due to CV, my rate went down $100 for 6 months period. You have to have GM On-Star and
I have Drive Safe and Save on my XT6 and my Pontiac Solstice. $182 discount on the XT6, $70 on the Solstice.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,525 Posts
USAA is ok. Service isn't bad, though I've had to light a fire under them a couple of times to get the ball moving. They refused to cover the last few hundred dollars on my most recent accident because I wanted OEM Chevy parts and they wanted aftermarket. They did the same thing on my sister's Equinox.

Maybe I'll shop around. Been with USAA for 13 years, and dad's had them for longer, but he's noticed they've gotten worse lately.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
19,365 Posts
I don't even deal with USAA anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,888 Posts
Been with USAA for 13 years, and dad's had them for longer, but he's noticed they've gotten worse lately.
I don't even deal with USAA anymore.
I have USAA but have never had an at fault so no experience dealing with my own insurance. Why are you thinking of switching or why did you switch (and to who)?

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
My reference is to USAA as an entity. Their service has declined over the last 15 - 20 years and their insurance prices have not been competitive in Florida. I do compare their prices about every five years where I used to compare every 2 - 3.

Reactions: CadillacLuke24

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
937 Posts
They refused to cover the last few hundred dollars on my most recent accident because I wanted OEM Chevy parts and they wanted aftermarket. They did the same thing on my sister's Equinox.
Every insurance co. does this.
Years ago, some offered OEM part coverage for an additional premium. Not sure if that's still an option.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts