Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz / 2011 CTS Luxury
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully my opera lights work, but, I would like to make them brighter…would a new (LED perhaps) bulb do the trick?

Does anyone know the bulb number? I’ve searched through the forum and not been able to find a definitive answer.

thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,051 Posts
I think those side lamps are powered by a tiny 110V inverter chip. Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,373 Posts
Get a 194 led with the led elements facing upwards. They housings are behind the trunk lining clipped to each rear wheel well.

·
Registered
1981 Biarritz, V864
50 Posts
Good thing you don't need any new ones, they are starting to get very pricey these days!
Eldorado Opera Lights - E-bay.png
Also a picture of the bulb holders just incase you haven't found them already. The bulb fits into the light grey holder after you release the clips and the nipple on the fiber optic "string" fits into the other end. Be very careful with the fiber optic string as it gets brittle and is easy to fracture the strands.

Eldorado Opera Light bulb holders.jpg

I have also seen one nice Eldo that the owner fit a strand of standard LED lights inside and then used an adjustable power supply to get the brightness he wanted. Very slick and looked really good! Let me know if you want more info on that option, although you have to disassemble the existing exterior housings/lenses and do some minor dremel work to make it work, so there is no going back after. Dave

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Smokus , BENI,

think I’ll try the easy option first. I haven’t looked at the housing yet, but will it accept the 194 LED without any changes? E6441AA4-F7E6-4B14-914E-01D1A6050ED3.jpeg

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just FYI the 168 bulb is the same size as the 194 but the 168 is a brighter bulb. I have a pack of each in the same Philips brand and the 168 is 5W whereas the 194 is 3.8W.

Scott

·
Registered
1981 Biarritz, V864
50 Posts
DFW, if you have good success with either bulb, please come back to this thread and confirm what worked best for you and a Part # and brand if you don't mind. I will be trying to get one of mine repaired as it is missing its lens cover and then probably give the LED bulbs a try also, that is after I get a bunch of other things taken care of first. Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dave,
If you end-up getting a lens cover and want to fully measure it possibly it would be a good candidate for 3D printing. There are some clear materials now. I would need to check to see how they're rated for UV exposure and I don't have experience with prints in the clear material yet. If you have or find a cracked cover it would likely be fine for measurements. I wonder how many years and possibly models used the same cover. It would make no sense if they are easy to find but it may also open up some possibilities if someone wanted to customize them.

Scott

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It terms of the amount of light, which is more important, wattage or lumens?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are comparing the same technology the power consumption is a good indication of how bright it's going to be but technically Watt is power and not a measure of light transmission. Lumens are a measure of the light emitted per time. If you could trust the lumen value reported was comparable between products it might be more appropriate especially if you were comparing different technologies like LED vs incandescent. In this case however I was comparing apples to apples so the higher power bulb is brighter (168 brighter than 194). The 168 will be a little hotter and the life will be lower but both are available in a longer life version.

Another good example is in household bulbs where you typically buy bulbs like 40W, 60W, 100W but those values were for the old "standard" incandescent bulb. Even LED replacements still list an equivalence to the old incandescent but the LED's require a lot lower power to produce the same light... so across technologies you cannot simply use a power consumption...

I haven't looked yet but are the LED manufacturers selling the same bulb for BOTH 168 and 194 or are they offering 2 different bulbs?

Scott

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,373 Posts
I think most leds are sold as both are 194/168.

the original bulbs were a proprietary thing that was basically a 194 bulb with a magnifying glass on top of it to force light into the blue lens and into the fiber optics. You can use a 194 incandescent bulb for the opera lights in place of that proprietary bulb, but they just won’t be as bright. However, you cannot use a 168 bulb in there because it will melt the housing (experienced Eldo owner and operator here, won’t tell you how I found that one out)

To the point here, try to get a 194/168 LED that focuses the most of its light upwards. It has to be a blue bulb if you want to maintain the original color. Do not get one of those pep boys units that spreads the light around, you want it focused towards the top so the lamps will be as bright as possible.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great info everyone…..

Smokus….do you mean an actual blue color lightbulb, or a very high K (7000+) bluishwhite?

what is the correct “original color”?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Folks,
After restoring the interior of my Ritz came the opera lights. I found the originals very weak plastic and the fiber
81 Biarritz opera lights replaced with 75 Fleetwood opera lamps.JPG
fibre optics were like a blue twinkling night sky. So I installed a pair of real 75 Fleetwood metal lamps with bulbs. They look much better.

King

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks BENI!

so, if the lens is blue, wouldn’t a white bulb be ok?

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,373 Posts
You would think, but white LEDs make the coloring look off for some reason.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, what is the actual “correct”’color then?

what does a blue light bulb plus a blue lens produce? Blue I would think….no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts