Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,172 Posts
I would like to know as well. My headlight housings are peeling, and have been thinking about doing a swap. Do you bake them? Will they not leak?

· Registered
CTS V
140 Posts
Yeah just bake them, i had to heat it up a couple of times to get it off. Just be patient and take your time. The lens does seem to get brittle so be careful. Try to put the pressure on the actual housing, and not the lens, if that makes any sense. As far as leaking, i don't know as i haven't put it back together, but i imagine if sealed properly there shouldn't be an issue.

· Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,172 Posts
Is the glue noticable when you put it back together? Because I feel like if you glue them back together, that gray bezel will be exposed. And then the glue will dry and look like sh!t. Am I wrong about that?

· Registered
CTS V
140 Posts
The bezel around the lens cannot be taken off it's actually just paint on the inside of the lens.
Kind of hard to describe but basically the light comes apart in 3 pieces.
The clear lens, with the gray painted border from the inside.
The gray interior panel with the projector, high beam, and triangle area simply unbolts from the lens.
And then theres the actual black housing.

· Registered
2004 CTS-V
869 Posts
The bezel around the lens cannot be taken off it's actually just paint on the inside of the lens.
Kind of hard to describe but basically the light comes apart in 3 pieces.
The clear lens, with the gray painted border from the inside.
The gray interior panel with the projector, high beam, and triangle area simply unbolts from the lens.
And then theres the actual black housing.

Poast a pic!

· Registered
2011 Black Diamond CTS-V
752 Posts
I have a spare light that i took the lens off, i plan on painting the inside of the housings silver to match the car and some other mods.
pics please! i've been thinking of how to do that to my headlights to make them look like the color matched headlights the c6 vettes have... anxious to see your results

· Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
3,621 Posts
I'm pulling my headlights off right now. I just need to know how long to bake them for. any help would be great. I'm gonna paint the inside platinum silver to match the car :)

· Registered
Silver '05 V
1,248 Posts
Just bake on super low temp for 10mins then do a test to see how well the lens is separating. If it doesn't come apart do another 5min, etc etc etc.

I haven't done the headlights, but when I did my fogs I did this approach. I did one at a time. First one I think I took out about 6 times because I was paranoid, then the second one I just left in for almost the whole time it took for the first one and the lens popped off like butta.

Just take your time. Put a towel on the cookie sheet or rack so that the metal doesn't melt anything. The headlights don't really bother me, but I would like it if they didn't have that chrome ring around the HID.

g/l

· Registered
6 Posts
I would like to know as well. My headlight housings are peeling, and have been thinking about doing a swap. Do you bake them? Will they not leak?
I use a heat gun, it’s easy , well it’s been for me!. Just know , heat gun gets hot quick! The adhesive heats up pretty quick and stays warm awhile. Easy pry apart! B sure 2 take screws out 1st..

If need better instructions- [email protected]
with new paints today, you can do anything you imagine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts