Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this set of wheels, They came from Germany on an Opel Astra SRi 2.0 Turbo DI... They are OEM wheels with the exact same pattern offset and hub diameter as the Catera wheels the only difference being the extra in in diameter.

The Astra with SPORT wheels 17s... pretty nice ehhh!?

The Wheel itself:
5spoke Alum
5x110 Bolt pattern.
65.1mm Hubcentric opening
18x7.5J
37mm Offset
Tires are Dunlop Sport SP01 DSST...RUN FLATS.

The wheels installed on my Catera:
I know the tires are a little too small and it acutally looks kinda funny and in fact the wheels look pretty damn small on there but o well... I guess new tires are on the way for the next summer... i got to try to wear these suckers down before I get new ones.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

To be honest these things would look great with some more meaty tires such as maybe a 245 40 18 on there... Tire Rack here I come...

·
Registered
'97 Forest Green Catera
674 Posts
Saturn is going to start selling the Astra in the US later this fall. It's a very sharp looking replacement for the unloved ION. Now if they offerred the turbo version in the US.......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
103 Posts
MV6, I think the new mags & tire combination look stunning. For me, I'd like that exact same mag but chromed like the OEM on my Cat. I never was never really a chrome fan until I bought Cat. My Cat is silver like yours and those new mags look like they're almost the same colour as the car. Tire size looks fine to me but to each his own...well done!

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MV6, I think the new mags & tire combination look stunning. For me, I'd like that exact same mag but chromed like the OEM on my Cat. I never was never really a chrome fan until I bought Cat. My Cat is silver like yours and those new mags look like they're almost the same colour as the car. Tire size looks fine to me but to each his own...well done!
Oh my, I have never seen these wheels in chrome but I guess they would look very nice. These things look like they are spinning backwards due to the reflections and the open spoke design.. and in chrome they would attract even more attention I guess...
I like them a lot, people stop and stare and drool over it... every time I park it somewhere...

when the Saturn (opel) Astra comes over in a year as the 08 model year... so hold your breaths and then maybe we can see some of those only in the chrome version if not then you should be able to send them out for chroming... it probably wouldnt be very cheap but ... should be freakin sweet when done...

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am considering some H&R DRA series hubcentric wheel spacers ... probably about an Inch or so ~25mm, the spacers bolt up to the hub and then the wheel bolts to the spacers. My only concern is that such a steel increase in offset can damage my rear wheel bearings, or do you guys think they will be just fine?

On another note what would 245 40 18 tires look like on my 18x7.5 rims? I found some pictures that didnt look too bad actually looked kinda nice but most say that 245 should be used on a 8 or 8.5 wide rims... so now I dont know what to do... I want some wider tires like my 17s but I am not sure that it would be safe to do that kind of a tire with the rims I got. The other closest size is the 225 45 18s and the ones i have currently on are 225 40 18s and they are way too small... Diameter is only 25" I need at least a 25.7"

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
If you want them to fit and not ruin the handling, or destroy the wheel bearings, the Catera's wheels must have a +35mm to +45mm offset. Offset determines the wheel's inner and outer clearances. Too much offset will also over stress the wheel bearings and burn them out. Follow the link to an explanation of offset and how to measure it. Or you can use the Offset Calculator.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/utcustom.asp
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Elvin

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been doing research on this topic and I guess people have been using these H&R spacers mostly on VWs and Saabs as well as Audis but no one has reported any problems with them. And that is why I asked if the catera can take it without any issues. I measured the distance from a straight edge that alighns with the sie of the tire. From that straight edge to the inner farthes point on the quarter pannel and that distance is around 1.25" and the flat part of the lip is another .5-.75 thick so I got about 2inches before the tire evens out with the fender. The funny part is that the new wheels are +37mm offset and the old ones were +39 but yet somehow the new ones look like they are tucked quite a bit in. A 25mm spacer will bring the offset to 12mm which as you said is outside of the 35-45mm range...

Now the quesiton how quick do you think the bearings will go, I am aware of the increased stress but I figured much lighter wheels with more steep offset would be identical to the heavy ass 17" OEM ones...

Anyone have any pictures of the hub? I would like to calculate the increased stresses on the bearings but I need some of those dimentions.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I've given you all I have on Catera wheel offset. I'd go to CarDomain.com for answers. I see all kinds of wheels on Cats there ranging from 16 to 22 inches. Someone there must know what they're doing.

I saw pictures of your car on OOF. I hate you. We have the same 2001 Cat Sport but you're always a step ahead of me. No sport grille yet but I did get new wheels last year. I mounted snowtires on them. This winter I'll swap them around so the new wheels wear the summer rubber. Not exactly like your wheels but they do have 5 thin spokes that show off the new red GTO brakes. They look and perform magnificently.

What's the black antenna on your Cat for? I have a tiny XM Radio antenna on the trunk lid. I like yours better, if that's what it is. I think I'll pass on the GTO spoiler though. I prefer the Sport wing. I did see an Omega with the edge spoiler mounted under the wing and thought it looked sharp. Ford imported the Merkur XR4Ti and it had a bi-wing spoiler that I loved. If I can find a generic edge spoiler that'll fit under the spoiler I may go for it.

OK, OK. I don't hate you, but am jealous.

Elvin

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, to be honest, I am often jealous of other people's rides and I try to find the best of theirs and implement it into mine. The wheels are freakin light and I love that about them the car just feels different with them. Right now I am in the market for some 245 tires for those 18s and the OEM Sport 17s are gonna remain as a winter set. I do have another car that I drive during the winter so the cat doesnt see much snow at all.

The rear wing well I pulled behind a gto with a wing at a gas station once and I really liked the way it looked. I think our back ends are very similar so the GTO wing will look freakin sharp on there. Its just like the OEM spoiler except it wraps around the sides and has a built in tail light. I will try to get some pictures of what it will look like and I will post them on here.

As for that antenna well I dont have XM but I freakin love those Shark antennas that you see on the 7-series bimmers so I got one and stuck it to the roof... so its fake but shhhh keep it a secret.

What do you think about one of those M3 spoilers for the back end, in fact I was thinking about adding one of those to the top of the rear window because they are really tiny and you can barely tell they are there but man do they look good.

BTW congrats on the GTO brake swap... you need to post some pictures of them, I want to see em, and see how they look. I got some Brembo stickers for mine and I am gonna use the Brembo symbol on the red calipers... the GTO oens I thought will look too cheezy unless I can make them say GTC... like the opel tunned models.

As to those spacers well I am just trying to find as much info as I can before I decide to buy but it looks like I will just get some wide tires and stay away from them for now.

I am glad you like my car, I can tell you that I like almost every Sport that I have seen out there. There is another member around here with a silver one and TSW rims... so I figured we need to start a post with all Silver Catera Sports and post pictures of each of our rides.

BTW thanks for keeping that picture gallery of yours the one with all the picutres of various cateras and omegas... its very helpfull...when you are trying to find stuff or specific shots.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I guess I forgot to post those pictures on here so here they are.

Here she is I took some photos from my house of her on the street... I put the Astra wheels back on because I really liked how the car handeled with the Dunlop tires and the lighter wheels.

BTW the Brown Pontiac Grand Prix GXP is putting down 305FWHP... not bad ehh for just a pulley and an new engine management for the 3.8L supercharged... Sadly my car only put down 185RWHP...

Well what do you guys think of this. :eek:

::)

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...hey ELVIN this is what the GTO wing can look like on the back of the Cat. I had it on top of the OEM one to see how the posts compare. I will be replacing the Oem one once I get it painted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts