Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 ETC. 66 Impala 427 Sport Coupe
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my 95 ETC home and have begun cleaning it up a little. The previous owner must not have done anything to it during the time he owned it. And he parked it under a little-leaf linden tree, leaves and seeds everywhere. :bonkers:

Anyhow I took a tooth brush and cleaned around the trunk weatherstripping and removed some parts to get rid of the decaying vegetation. Then I moved to the engine compartment. With a toothbrush and water hose I began cleaning.

I hosed down the engine compartment very well, it was so dusty and dirty. (hate to work on a filty engine). I started the engine up after hosing it down to dry it out a little.

:mad: My problem now is a "BATTERY NO CHARGE" msg is being displayed. Prior to hosing the engine compartment down, I was getting 14.1 volt reading. There was no msg immediately after the washing.

What exactly does "BATTERY NO CHARGE" mean? I am going to check the connection to the battery and alternator. Anything else that I should check?

:hmm:

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
EEEEK... I LOVE a dirty engine.... I've seen too many horror stories about power washing an engine, especially if its a N*.

I've never had this problem, but the msg is telling you the alternator is not charging the battery (or it doesnt think so). I would start by checking grounds on the alternator, checking connections, check if the alternator is an OEM alternator, look for damaged insulation, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I too have heard the horror stories of pressure washing. But have done the regular garden hose washing successfully many times through the years. The first time that I have ever encountered any problems.

Thanks for the reply, STSS.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
I group power washing and hose washing together, but I also know many people hose wash with no issues. I would do anything possible to avoid electrical gremlins on this kind of car. I just dont see the benefits outweighing the risks.

Just my .02, not trying to knock you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,446 Posts
Be very sure that the engine valley under the intake manifold, where the starter motor is located, is not full of water. The intake manifold is not water cooled and has no water transfer passages, so the valley is wide open at both ends..........Keep ALL water away from the EBCM/ABS module down in front of the driver's fender inner liner, as well as anywhere near the passenger front side of the engine....alternator is open to intrusion and the A/C clutch is also tucked down in there. Try to stay away from the front driver's side of the transmission......multi-pin control connector.

·
Registered
1969 Cadillac Deville, 1997 Cadillac Seville STS
64 Posts
Slightly off topic but does that mean you should stay away from auto car washs that do the undercarriage as well Sub?

I haven't taken mine down yet but i kinda wanted to wash the salt from this winter out from under there.

Void4ever

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,446 Posts
Hard shot to call.......some have gone through underbody washes with no problems at all.........others have developed electrical nightmares. Once in a blue moon I'll run my 02 through the local business, underbody included, and no problems. Mostly, I DIY.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,099 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen once when I washed down my '97. Just drive it and get it up to operating temperature to evaporate any water. It should be OK.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
I agree with Ranger, drive the car a fair distance, get everything good and hot, and the problem should take care of itself.
On my 99 STS, I used a garden hose. Some of the water must've made its way into the spark plugs.
The car basically was running on just a few cylinders. I drove it gently, and after 2 or 3 long drives, the problem went away.

I was at a dealership in April where they had a dead 2002 Lincoln LS.
The detail guys had pressure washed the engine without covering the coils ... sure enough, they had to order
new coil packs just to fire the car up.

Now, I just use Simple Green and a warm, damp cloth. No water for me, ever, in an engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,099 Posts
Yup, just cleaned mine the other day. Damp cloth is all I used. If I was to use a hose or power spray, I'd be very carefull about where I sprayed, but I'm very leary with COP ignition now. I think those days may be over for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, just cleaned mine the other day. Damp cloth is all I used. If I was to use a hose or power spray, I'd be very carefull about where I sprayed, but I'm very leary with COP ignition now. I think those days may be over for me.
Good News! Got home from work last evening, started my baby up and lo-and-behold; there was no battery msg. I've learned my lesson. From now on just a wipe down. Got most of the heavy dirt off, a wipe down is all it should take.

Thanks All.

·
Registered
eldorado
125 Posts
Been washing engins for 25yrs and the key is to wash it cold not after you have driven it, And the car washes are about 1000psi wich are generaly no prob, but never and i stress NEVER use a 4000psi on any thing but a buldozer, it will inject water into the watertight connectors and even under gaskets and one day (if you ever get it restarted) you'll be driving down the road and WAM!!!!!! it dies and now the tow bill and repairs will outweigh the cars value.. Just me thinkin..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts