Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade ESV Platinum
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working with my dealer and GM in order to get better wifi performance. the best I've seen with my own tests were 7 Mbps download.

Has anyone seen a better download speed than 7 Mbps? Just wondering if anyone is actually getting 4G LTE speeds with the onstar Wifi

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
It's going to depend on the location and the network load

I can go to one twin and get 7-8mbps with my iPhone 6plus then go to another one and get 20-25mbps and this is on Verizon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to depend on the location and the network load

I can go to one twin and get 7-8mbps with my iPhone 6plus then go to another one and get 20-25mbps and this is on Verizon
I appreciate the reply. I realize it will vary. I get it. My question is about the onstar download capability. I just want to know if anyone has seen a download speed greater than 7 Mbps...anywhere or at any time.

we all know our iphones or android phones can do it...can the onstar wifi do it too? Onstar is advertising 4G LTE speeds. I can't get any higher speed than 7. I have an iphone 6 from verizon. I can get as high as 65 Mbps sitting in my truck with wifi turned off. once I turn on onstar wifi it drops to around 1-2 Mbps.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dfride said:
I appreciate the reply. I realize it will vary. I get it. My question is about the onstar download capability. I just want to know if anyone has seen a download speed greater than 7 Mbps...anywhere or at any time. we all know our iphones or android phones can do it...can the onstar wifi do it too? Onstar is advertising 4G LTE speeds. I can't get any higher speed than 7. I have an iphone 6 from verizon. I can get as high as 65 Mbps sitting in my truck with wifi turned off. once I turn on onstar wifi it drops to around 1-2 Mbps.
That sounds to me like the Onstar system is not getting a lte signal at times or is getting a poor signal somehow as it should be just like any other mobile hotspot(which works just like our iPhones do on the data)

Not sure how to adjust the hotspot settings on it but I would contact Onstar and see what they say about it(and let them and the dealer know of the poor performance)

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
AT&T cell towers are pretty bad in some areas. My area got the worse and the only good carrier with good cell towers and signal strength is Verizon.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Nihsel10 said:
AT&T cell towers are pretty bad in some areas. My area got the worse and the only good carrier with good cell towers and signal strength is Verizon.
That's the truth
AT&T sucks big time

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Well........I just ran a speed test while connected to my Escalade wifi.....the best average spd i got was a notch over 5. I disconnected from the On Star and then ran a speed test on just my ordinary cell connection .....get just a bit over 3!!!!! My network is ATT and the phone used iPhone5S. 4G LTE is not a simple standard......do a search on it and you will find there are MANY variables and "interpretations". I believe that, relative to reality, the terminology is seems more related to marketing rather than highly visible increased performance......jmo.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
blit184 said:
Well........I just ran a speed test while connected to my Escalade wifi.....the best average spd i got was a notch over 5. I disconnected from the On Star and then ran a speed test on just my ordinary cell connection .....get just a bit over 3!!!!! My network is ATT and the phone used iPhone5S. 4G LTE is not a simple standard......do a search on it and you will find there are MANY variables and "interpretations". I believe that, relative to reality, the terminology is seems more related to marketing rather than highly visible increased performance......jmo.
AT&T has a different network protocol then Verizon
AT&T has hdsp+ (I think that's correct)
Verizon is real lte
Sprint also uses a different protocol(they may have changed)
AT&T has the slowest network of the three(but they would never admit it)

Now what the Onstar gear uses I am unsure(always thought it was Verizon but it could be different)
Keep in mind the hardware used can also influence the speeds(wifi and cellular transceiver along with the data modem)

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
I am just amazed GM didn't sign with Verizon again. They were fine last time with it and had no issues. They should give people an option to choose the carrier they want to get the internet connection.

For the mean time, I am going to stick with my iPhone 5s with 4g LTE and my MiFi.

I think T-Mobile also uses AT&T's cell towers and 4G LTE, if I am not mistaken. I will double check to confirm.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Your correct on t mobile using at&t's network

Boost mobile uses sprints network

----------

I agree they should let us chose the carrier as the only one in my area that works is Verizon the others lose signal a lot

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
AT&T has a different network protocol then Verizon
AT&T has hdsp+ (I think that's correct)
Verizon is real lte
Sprint also uses a different protocol(they may have changed)
AT&T has the slowest network of the three(but they would never admit it)

Now what the Onstar gear uses I am unsure(always thought it was Verizon but it could be different)
Keep in mind the hardware used can also influence the speeds(wifi and cellular transceiver along with the data modem)
OnStar is now using AT&T.....my AT&T account now has an added charge of $10/month for the wifi data on the vehicle.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
blit184 said:
OnStar is now using AT&T.....my AT&T account now has an added charge of $10/month for the wifi data on the vehicle.
Well that sucks as AT&T has crap coverage in my area
That also explains the crap data bandwidth

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Onstar tech told me the onstar module was not switching from 2G to 4G and a "hard reset" needed to be completed at the dealer. When I brought it in the service guy was told by onstar tech that the module needed to be replaced. Once replaced the speed did not change. Onstar told the dealer that A.T & T needed to assign a new phone number to the onstar module after that number took effect the 4G speeds should be attained. was supposed to take 48 hours to get the number. well after a month I have the same number and speeds remain the same. I'm starting to think it's an AT&T issue (speed limitation). My Verizon speed tests are as high as 65 Mbps sitting in my truck in the same spot with my iPhone 6. My dealer was in Vegas last week for some GM convention and he spoke with the "wifi guy" about my situation and he was told the wifi guy was "on it" and definitely knew about the situation. Maybe they know signing with AT&T was a mistake...

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hate to break it to the guys that think AT&T and T-Mobile run on the same network...they don't. They used to about 10 years ago, but then a federal court judge ordered them to split networks to settle some lawsuit, so Cingular (the name of the carrier before it became AT&T) sold T-Mobile their old network and built a whole new network which is the difference today between the two carrier's networks.

I have friends who have T-Mobile and I have AT&T and I have a good signal or full signal strength and they have little to no signal strength, no service and their data speeds are worse than AT&T. Look at the data display maps between the two and while AT&T isn't perfect, T-Mobile is not as good as AT&T. I firmly believe that in life, you get what you pay for and T-Mobile is cheap for a reason. I used to have Verizon, but it didn't work well at my house. AT&T works perfectly at my house and in my home calling area, so I kept it. I was thinking of going back to Verizon, but I have too many family members on my family share plan, so I just kept AT&T as I was too lazy to deal with how to get my family members off my plan. Oh well.

I don't use the wifi in the Escalade as I feel it is pointless being that it runs on AT&T and so does my iPhone 6+. My kids can just tether their iPads off my cell phone and I don't have to pay to add the Escalade to my data plan.

I speed tested my iPhone without wifi and in the same exact spot at almost the same time, the Escalade's wifi was way less. I don't understand why that happens. I don't understand why GM didn't just stick to Verizon. It's clear they have a better national network.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
^ I wondered about that as I never heard the outcome of that

I agree Onstar should have stuck with Verizon as they do have the better coverage

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Doesn't T-Mobile have roaming agreements with AT&T despite being separate?
Not anymore. You will see this if you have at&t and have a friend sitting next to you with a T-Mobile phone. The T-Mobile phone will have no service while the at&t phone will have mid to full signal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts