Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I wouldn't even want to spent the money on the service for the first year let alone have that ugly antenna on the roof like on the trucks. I thinks it just another way for GM to make money

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
"Free" they make it up in the $40,000+ car :D I guess the new shorty antenas aren't that bad but the old giant black plastic were an eyesore. I would rather have a cell phone over OnStar

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dead Sled said:
"Free" they make it up in the $40,000+ car :D I guess the new shorty antenas aren't that bad but the old giant black plastic were an eyesore. I would rather have a cell phone over OnStar

I guess "included" in the price of the car is a better way of putting it than free

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
don't they also charge youfor every time you push the button?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
what about monitoring your car? I heard that they are able to few essential readings from your car (ie temperature). Does this mean they can monitor how fast you're going and how much you're pushing the car?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
wouldn't surprise me if they could by tracking location vs. time like a GPS can

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
big brother is always watching.

but i hope OnStar has something better to do than track people

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I understand what you ment but I think OnStar is just an information, emergency service offered to you through GM, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
If they choose they can, Check your speed, location, direction of travel, Where you stop. And they can in some cases disable the vehicle and make you stop in your tracks. I've seen this feature demonstrated with my own eyes! If I buy a new Cadillac that's the first thing that I will TOTALLY disable the first day! BIG BROTHER is watching and we should put his eyes out!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
lol, I too would dissable it any way I could

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
If they can track you and/or use information to void your warranty, it wouldn't surprise me.. They can lock your car and unlock it remotely.. I'm pretty sure they could probably do anything. Heck - with that infrared thing (I forget what it's called - you know me), they could probably drive the car...

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it comes down to the definition of the word "they", which has been used several times in this thread...the onstar has all the abilities of lojack plus a few more so I think it can do all that everyone has said, although i dont believe they can turn your car off. Anyway the theoretic "they" in this post would i guess be onstar/cadillac and i just dont see the motive for screwing with someone, the first warranty they void triggers a thousand lawsuits for invasion of privacy. I recall reading about a rental car company(i dont remember the name) that charged renters 85 bucks every time they went over 75mph, the renters did not know they were being tracked and were charged after the fact, needless to say the lawyers got all the money refunded and the company ceased that practice. I dont know im just not much of a conspiracy guy, Cadillac has nothing to gain by monitoring peoples whereabouts or driving habits, other than market research maybe

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
its a govenrment conspiracy

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Actually my dad had to use it one time....

He was up in wisconsin, out in the boonies snowmobiling, and locked the keys in the car. He called onstar, AND THEY COULDNT UNLOCK THE CAR. Apparently, the car was out of range for the GPS, so they had to call a locksmith. Fortunately, one of his friends was able to get it unlocked, because the locksmith never showed!!!!

We now refer to it as NON-STAR

1 - 20 of 41 Posts