Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
ewill3rd - would you happen to know if the OnStar hardware out of an '02 Deville will plug-n-play in my '01? As you know, I cannot upgrade my '01 but if I had '02 hardware I could convert it to digital.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

There are some differences.
The '01 system used two modules that work together, in '02 they went to an integrated "VCIM" which was a combination VIU and VCU which your 01 will have.
The short answer is no.
Also they do it by VIN, not by what is in the car.
The automated system wouldn't let us order hardware for that.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Jim,

There are some differences.
The '01 system used two modules that work together, in '02 they went to an integrated "VCIM" which was a combination VIU and VCU which your 01 will have.
The short answer is no.
Also they do it by VIN, not by what is in the car.
The automated system wouldn't let us order hardware for that.
Actually I was going to have my mom's '02 upgraded and then take it out. She doesn't use it anyway. But if it won't work then I won't bother.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DHS
42 Posts
could i do the digital upgrade if i have an 01 DHS fully optioned the onstar and cell phone is currently working fine and i installed a DVD nav in the dash? Even if rewiring would be required. after all they said i could never install the dvd nav.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The '01 uses a different "generation" module setup than the '02.
They switched to a single box setup. The '01 has two modules which use different connectors and functions slightly differently than the newer generation versions.
Even if you were to do the necessariy hardware modifications, the company we get the upgrade kits from does them by the VIN. The order is placed electronically and step one is entering the VIN of the vehicle.
Due to the way they do it, there is no way to make it work on and older vehicle.
Sorry I don't have any good news.
:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts