Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the onstar upgrade from analog to digital. I did it because I like to use the phone feature instead of using a cell in the car.

So when I got in the ride and pushed the steering wheel phone button to call and get the new number I see a " Phone Not Installed" message on the message line in the instrument cluster.
I pressed on-star button to ask where the phone is and they told me to see the dealer. The dealer told me to call Verison. Verison told me to call onstar technical. Onstar advisor asked why I wanted technical help - so I explained that the steering wheel phone button isn't working and I want it to work. onstar advisor tells me that this button is not for the phone but it is a pause for the radio. So, I ask why did it work in the past. I was told that I didn't use that button correctly and that only the white button on the mirror is for making phone calls. i replied that this isn't correct and is unacceptable. The advisor bids me a good day and hangs up. I am a bit irritated.

Does anyone know who to call or see about getting the phone feature back into the steering wheel and available for turning on and off via the Selectable Features and Options on the instrument cluster?

Regards.
LD50

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The dealer didn't configure the vehicle properly after the upgrade.
Take it back to them and direct them to look at PIC3396C.

Subject: Phone Not Available Message And/Or OnStar Dialed Digits Displayed On The DIC - keywords information inoperative number message operation #PIC3396C - (06/06/2007)

Models: 2002-2005 Cadillac Deville and Seville

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Plesa discard PIC3396B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment after the OnStar system was serviced and/or upgraded the DIC (Drivers Information Center) displays a "phone not present" or "phone not available" message. Furthermore, they may comment that the OnStar system operates normally and no phone numbers display on the DIC when placing an outbound hands free call. The issue may be induced by the internal programming in the VCIM (Vehicle Communication Interface Module) during the initial set-up process.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important Note: DO NOT replace the OnStar VCIM

Using the Tech 2,

Enter Dash Integration Module (DIM) >special function>set options> Miscellaneous options 1, turn off the PHONE option. (This will turn off the "phone not available" message)
Enter Navigation Radio present, set the vehicle to "NO NAV" if the vehicle is not equipped with a U3Q or U3R navigation radio. (If the vehicle is equipped with the navigation radio, the user has to enter the OnStar Handsfree Calling through the NAV VR menu)
Important: The ignition switch needs to be cycled off and the driver's door open to cancel RAP (retained accessory power) before completing the next step.

Cycle the ignition switch back on and enter Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM)>Special Function>VCIM set up and complete the programming, Select options NO PHONE/NO NAV if not equipped with option UV8 or Navigation radio.
Cycle the key and cancel RAP.
Key press into the Onstar center and request a full unit configuration and HFC (Hands Free Calling) be enabled.
Retest SWC.
What they did was select "with phone/without nav". They don't realize that the phone option is actually not related to OnStar at all.
It is a separate option that I have never even seen on a car. If they entered the with phone option the IPC is looking for a feature that is not there and reserving operation of that button for it.

I am sad to hear you have talked to so many people that don't know this information.

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6L AWD Premium Luxury, Previous: 2009 STS 3.6L AWD, 2003 DTS 4.6L
379 Posts
I just had the onstar upgrade from analog to digital. I did it because I like to use the phone feature instead of using a cell in the car.

So when I got in the ride and pushed the steering wheel phone button to call and get the new number I see a " Phone Not Installed" message on the message line in the instrument cluster.
I pressed on-star button to ask where the phone is and they told me to see the dealer. The dealer told me to call Verison. Verison told me to call onstar technical. Onstar advisor asked why I wanted technical help - so I explained that the steering wheel phone button isn't working and I want it to work. onstar advisor tells me that this button is not for the phone but it is a pause for the radio. So, I ask why did it work in the past. I was told that I didn't use that button correctly and that only the white button on the mirror is for making phone calls. i replied that this isn't correct and is unacceptable. The advisor bids me a good day and hangs up. I am a bit irritated.

Does anyone know who to call or see about getting the phone feature back into the steering wheel and available for turning on and off via the Selectable Features and Options on the instrument cluster?

Regards.
LD50
Out of curiosity, does the phone button on the steering wheel do anything at all now (like control the fan speed)???

·
Registered
Cadillac
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John,

Wow, thanks for the insight. The button is toally dead - except it does register the Phone Not Available message on the dash.
(for some reason I keep stating not installed when you have it correct - it is not available in the display - Jeeesss)

I'll be trying to see them in the morning and post tomorrow night how it goes.

·
Registered
Cadillac
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ment to thank ewill3rd - I am a bit run down right now - sorry bout the mix-up

ewill3rd, I'll see the dealer and post an update within a day or so. peace be with you.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you give that information to them they should be able to fix it in a jiffy.
I have been working with OnStar for going on 10 years now. There are a lot of tricky things to know when dealing with it and some people have it thrust upon them without the proper training.
Accidents like this happen, try to be patient with your dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts