Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a post card today from Cadillac advising that since cellular providers are transitioning to 4G or 5G throughout 2022 our OnStar connectivity will be impacted. It states that an OnStar link will be provided free of charge to eligible members. Apparently it will be a plug in device to maintain "most" of the safety services. Anyone have any further information on this update and how it works?

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury
543 Posts
Jack, your vehicle(s) have a 3G only OnStar module. That's going away. New vehicles have 4G LTE connectivity..

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
156 Posts
Jack, your vehicle(s) have a 3G only OnStar module. That's going away. New vehicles have 4G LTE connectivity..
The question is, is that module replaceable with a 4G module that can be programmed to the vehicle?

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, the FAQs were helpful and it appears we have 6 months to think it over. One question is that it appears we will eventually have the OnStar buttons disabled and will be communicating through our Smart phones. If that is the case and we mainly want the Turn by Turn navigation does it make sense to just use a free app like waze? Do you think Cadillac will cut the cost of their safety & security plan next year?.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
156 Posts
Thanks, the FAQs were helpful and it appears we have 6 months to think it over. One question is that it appears we will eventually have the OnStar buttons disabled and will be communicating through our Smart phones. If that is the case and we mainly want the Turn by Turn navigation does it make sense to just use a free app like waze? Do you think Cadillac will cut the cost of their safety & security plan next year?.
They explicitly state that turn-by-turn navigation is not offered via the plug-in dongle and smart-phone upgrade, so our only option is to use a smart-phone based app.

I also don't feel like they will cut the cost at all. They already know they have a captive audience. I am shocked they still was $25/mo for something that if they offered it for $5-10/mo almost everyone would subscribe. Just crazy how greedy big companies are.

·
Registered
18 CTS 3.6 AWD / 21 XT5 Prem Lux
772 Posts
Since OnStar has been around I've never bothered to purchase it. I lump it with satellite radio, not something I'm willing to pay for when I can get better for free. Android Auto has all I need. Now, I will say I do agree to an earlier post, if it was $5/month, I'd consider it. But not at the rates they charge. They should go for volume instead of high rates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts