Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a notice in the mail yesterday that Onstar is jacking up their rates to $18/month. I'm now ready to sh*tcan the whole Onstar thing and go with Bluetooth.

Reed - are there any left? If not, when will they be ready for primetime???

Please help!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
26 Posts
Hello Reed, I have not had the chance to install the Blue Tooth module yet. Yeah yeah, I know.. where are my priorities? Work is just been very painful this summer. Does the plug and play solution just involve additional connectors or is there a box change?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Got a notice in the mail yesterday that Onstar is jacking up their rates to $18/month. I'm now ready to sh*tcan the whole Onstar thing and go with Bluetooth.

Really? I personally think that $18 a month so the cops can find my car before it gets destroyed or stripped is worth it alone, not to mention the remote diagnostic, remote door unlock, etc....

OnStar pretty much sucks as a phone due to the high cost of minutes, but that was never its main purpose.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I should be testing a plug and play solution in the coming weeks... in order to use this kit, you need to disable onstar...

anyone here with one care to comment?

Reed
any different than the ones we have?

by the way, everyone else, it is a pretty straightforward install. I did a write up where you dont even have to go behind the dash. Reed should have a copy of it. if not, PM me, and I can make a link available

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Really? I personally think that $18 a month so the cops can find my car before it gets destroyed or stripped is worth it alone, not to mention the remote diagnostic, remote door unlock, etc....

OnStar pretty much sucks as a phone due to the high cost of minutes, but that was never its main purpose.
I am willing to bet the "real" thieves have a way around onstar. And the punks, well they are going to do the damage immediately, long before the cops get to them.

Onstar=highway robbery. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I am willing to bet the "real" thieves have a way around onstar. And the punks, well they are going to do the damage immediately, long before the cops get to them.

Onstar=highway robbery. Just my opinion.

I agree that nothing's perfect, but I've used it several times since my header and PCM install to diagnose CELs on Sundays (when I had no way to get to a Tech2), which was great. Normally I'd have parked the car for fear of damaging something (running lean, whatever), but I was able to find out it was no big deal, and therefore able to enjoy the weekend.

I also love having OnStar in my Wife's SRX. If she's halfway to Jacksonville and something happens, she can hit the Emergency button and get Police, Fire, whatever.

Different strokes, I guess.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
Different strokes, I guess.
We I think that because you sell the product you have more confidence in it. You hear all the horror stories from customers that did't purchases. I know when I sold Home Audio many years ago I would have people come in and not buy our waranty. Telling me "I have a surge protecter will handle that. Two days later come back and tell mr they had a party and spilled beer on it and try to return it. They were SOL! I buy a waranty on everything. It just depends on the way you see things. Its like car insurance. You would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
We I think that because you sell the product you have more confidence in it. You hear all the horror stories from customers that did't purchases. I know when I sold Home Audio many years ago I would have people come in and not buy our waranty. Telling me "I have a surge protecter will handle that. Two days later come back and tell mr they had a party and spilled beer on it and try to return it. They were SOL! I buy a waranty on everything. It just depends on the way you see things. Its like car insurance. You would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
It's quite the opposite, actually: All the great stories I've heard about OnStar from my customers have made me realize what a great service it is.

I had one couple get hit head on by someone- woke up in the back of an ambulance that OnStar called when their airbags deployed.

I also had one call me in a panic that had locked their dog in the car on a hot day and wanted me to send roadside. I reminded them about the OnStar and the doors were open in 2 minutes.

As a Salesman, I could care less if people renew their OnStar. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't pay us a dime- I just think it's neat.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Not that anyone cares, but you can renew your OnStar before the rates go up and pay a year (or more) in advance at the lower cost.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Im not saying in a bad way. Im just saying that with all that you see on the sales floor its easier for you to make the decision. Thats all.
I agree.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts

As a Salesman, I could care less if people renew their OnStar. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't pay us a dime- I just think it's neat.
Tony, I have a question about the analog/digital Onstar. I was in one Cadillac dealership and asked if there was an upgrade to get the digital Onstar an they said "no, you're SOL". Then last month I was in another dealership and asked the same question and the service writer said "sure, but you have to renew for at least a year before I can order the part". What's the real story? And is analog service going away? I also get different answers on this question too.

Thanks

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I should rephrase; for JimmyH, onstar=highway robbery. I originally would have liked to have used the personal calling (before I installed bluetooth) because people who use it told me the quality is excellent, and they never get dropped because of the better connection than handhelds. BUT--since this is the only thing I would use, I find it ridiculous that I cannot just buy a block of minutes without subscribing.

Now as for others, I know people who travel that use it all the time, for directions, finding gas stations etc. And to them it is worth every dime. And one of them loves that he can use his verizon minutes for Onstar.

So for some people, Onstar is a must-have feature. For others, it is completely worthless. There just does not seem to be a middle ground; such as pay per use, or being able to buy minutes without subscribing. I think Onstar is leaving money on the table in that regard.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Tony, I have a question about the analog/digital Onstar. I was in one Cadillac dealership and asked if there was an upgrade to get the digital Onstar an they said "no, you're SOL". Then last month I was in another dealership and asked the same question and the service writer said "sure, but you have to renew for at least a year before I can order the part". What's the real story? And is analog service going away? I also get different answers on this question too.

Thanks
Before Dec. 31st, you can pay for a 1 year OnStar contract ($199 + tax for Safe + Sound, or $399 + tax for Directions and Connections) plus a $15 service charge and your Dealer will upgrade your OnStar to digital. This gets you better coverage and call quality, plus the ability to speak the entire phone number when dialing a personal call (instead of the goofy "one at a time" you have now). I upgraded my 2004 V and am loving it.

The only people who are SOL are owners of older models (2000, 2001) or an '02 Eldorado. All CTS-Vs are upgradeable.

Your Dealer probably just didn't know what he was talking about (big surprise).

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts
Before Dec. 31st, you can pay for a 1 year OnStar contract ($199 + tax for Safe + Sound, or $399 + tax for Directions and Connections) plus a $15 service charge and your Dealer will upgrade your OnStar to digital. This gets you better coverage and call quality, plus the ability to speak the entire phone number when dialing a personal call (instead of the goofy "one at a time" you have now). I upgraded my 2004 V and am loving it.

The only people who are SOL are owners of older models (2000, 2001) or an '02 Eldorado. All CTS-Vs are upgradeable.

Your Dealer probably just didn't know what he was talking about (big surprise).
Rep points for you :thumbsup:

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I called OnStar to cancel my contract and got the hard sell - they reduced my monthly fee to $12/month (that's $144/year!!) - lower than what I was paying before!! Now, normally I think that'd be a good deal but I wtill somehow have the feeling that I've been "handled" and why the hell didn't they charge me that from the begining??? Granted it's only a $2 per month from what I've been paying but - the feelings the same......

So, for all you "gotta have it" types out there - you could be paying less!! Just call and tell them you're canceling :)

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
I played that game when I first had AOL in the 90's. They send out the free disk and I would use it for 6 months then call to cancel and they would give me another 6.. Did that until they finally came out with Cable internet!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts