Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've just purchased an 04 Escalade ESV. The Onstar subscription has expired and we are not going to renew it. The problem is that each time the driver's door is opened or closed or the engine is started a female voice announces, very annoyingly, "phone unavailable". According to the dealer the Onstar "module" is "bad" and would have to be replaced to eliminate the voice. I pulled the "Info" fuse in the underhood fuse panel which silenced the voice but also cut the power to the indash 6-disc CD unit. The owners manual shows the "Info" fuse controlling the Onstar and the RSE (rear seat entertainment system) which we do not have. Has anyone else encountered this problem or can someone tell me if the power lead to the Onstar "module" can be disconnected. I'd rather do that than connect the CD player to another circuit. I have a shop manual on order and will trace the wiring when I get it. Thanks, Doug.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Doug,
Open the glove box, grab the right side (I think) of the storage bin and pull it inwards, this will give you room to flip the door down. Warning! All the junk will fall out of the glove box!

Get a light or something and look up in there.
You'll see a silver box with a few connectors in it. There should be two white ones at least and maybe one black one, a small blue one and a square white one with a coax cable in it.
Squeeze the tab on each of the large connectors and pull them out of the box.
You should be golden after that.

Yes the VCIM is bad.

After you are done and the connectors are in a spot where they won't hit anything just close the glove box and put your stuff back in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ewill3rd: Thanks for the info. I'll check it out this evening. That beats the heck out of buying a new VCIM.

cadillacSTS2003: The service writer at the selling dealer said it would not be covered and would be several hundred dollars for a new VCIM. It was not a CPO vehicle although it was traded in at the dealer where it was sold new, so we have a 6 month/6000 mile "warranty" that I'm sure only covers the items that they're sure won't go bad. Heck, they replaced the 3rd stoplight and provided a key and fob that were missing. I already feel like I'm ahead of the game.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Give me the last 8 digits of the VIN (if you don't mind).
How many miles are on it?

This is what is wrong with the VCIM:

Subject: OnStar Gen 6 With A Current DTC U1500 - keywords blue button call cellular communication data digital DTC led information noconnect onstar operation program red tech2 UE1 U1500 vs3bgen6 #PIC3718C - (08/02/2007)

Models: All GEN 6 OnStar® Equipped vehicles between STID 14,000,000 - 16,000,000 and/or 22,000,000 - 23,200,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions and keywords. Please discard PIC3718B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some OnStar® Gen 6 equipped vehicle may have a no power/no connect concern on any key. Furthermore, the LED may or may not be illuminated RED and a current DTC U1500 may be present. OnStar® Engineering has determined that certain VCIMs (Stid ranges 14,000,000 - 16,000,000 and/or 22,000,000 - 23,200,000) may be inducing this concern and will need to be replaced.

Recommendation/Instructions:
****Verify and Document the STID (Station Identification) number. ****

STIDs within the listed ranges:
• US dealers should order the replacement VCIM through the Autocraft Website (www.autocraft.com) or may contact Autocraft Electronics directly at ************ to obtain a replacement part.

• Canadian dealers and vehicles NOT in the listed STID ranges will need to contact GM TAC to order a replacement VCIM. Refer to eSI Document ID# 1729331 prior to contacting GM Technical Assistance

• To order a replacement VCIM on vehicles that are out of factory warranty, US dealers are to contact Autocraft Electronics and Canadian dealers should contact MASSCOMP. Out of warranty parts cannot be ordered through GMTAC.

Important Note: Prior to placing an order with Autocraft Electronics or GMTAC, the STID "MUST" be obtained from the vehicle or VCIM. Autocraft Electronics can NOT process any replacement parts orders without the required information.

Dealers are to follow eSI module replacement procedures for installation of the new VCIM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last eight digits of the VIN are: 4G276553. It just turned 58,000. I'm assuming you're going to check and see if it's under warranty or if the bulletin you listed applies to it? That'd be great. Thanks, Doug.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You are out by mileage, but not by time.
It would be pointless to worry about a factory replacement part really, especially for the cost.
Not much warranty work has been done to that vehicle.

If you want OnStar service you need to get a digital upgrade.
I see you have active XM but not OnStar, if you don't have an active account that adds to the bill which would be $314 including a one year paid subscription. (it is $100 less if you have an active account)
If you don't want OnStar and you don't think your dealer will work with you to do a "goodwill" repair then you should just unplug the module.
The warranty would have expired 5/24/08 had you not gone over on miles.

I know that bulletin applies to it, I have seen dozens of those.
Not all Escalades mind you...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts