Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went by Verizon & asked about adding my onstar based phone to my verizon account, as I saw on Verizons web site that they do that, the guy was like, yea you can but I don't know how. Umm, OK .. wtf.

So I have verizon master number I'll call but thought I'd check in with you "know it alls" first :worship:

Anyone done this or have the scoop?

Thanks!

Daffy Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
I believe we have dual analog/digital On-Star equipment that is not compatible with Verizon's deal. You must retro to digital only to be able to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,570 Posts
I have it.

My Verizon cell phone is the primary line and the Onstar line is the secondary one (cost like ~$10 more per month for these lines to share minutes).

Once this is done, I believe that you need to go through an Onstar representative to make any changes on your account. The normal Verizon people will be "locked-out" of your account, as Onstar wants to minimize any errors that might be processed on your account.

I think I just hit the Onstar button and told them exactly what I wanted and it just kept progessing from there. I do recall it took some time for the entire thing to finally get set-up, but they finally got it.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but hopefully that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Hopefully this will help. I spoke to both Onstar and Verizon and from what I was told, for those of us with the older analog units (V's made prior to Jan or Feb. '05) we have to first get the unit changed out. I was told to go through my dealer.Also, I was told that they want a 3 year agreement (which you do through your dealer at the time they change the unit out) or else its over $500-$600 if I remember right. Also, you will lose any Onstar minutes you have bought (which is why I am waiting until my minutes are used up).

Basicially, Verizon told me to go through Onstar who told me for my car ('05 model year built in 8-04) to go through my dealer.

Marty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
51PHFTY said:
Hopefully this will help. I spoke to both Onstar and Verizon and from what I was told, for those of us with the older analog units (V's made prior to Jan or Feb. '05) we have to first get the unit changed out. I was told to go through my dealer.Also, I was told that they want a 3 year agreement (which you do through your dealer at the time they change the unit out) or else its over $500-$600 if I remember right. Also, you will lose any Onstar minutes you have bought (which is why I am waiting until my minutes are used up).Basicially, Verizon told me to go through Onstar who told me for my car ('05 model year built in 8-04) to go through my dealer.Marty
This was the info I had for my car, which is an '05 built last year. I didn't realize it had changed for '05's built this year.:thepan:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
ylwjacket said:
This was the info I had for my car, which is an '05 built last year. I didn't realize it had changed for '05's built this year.:thepan:
Yeah, when I first called them in August of this year, they told me I couldn't even do the upgrade or the switch to Verizon because I had the older unit in my car. They (Onstar) told me to call back in September which is when I found out about the switch out of the unit.

It did get me wondering though. Eventually, if Onstar will be all digital, does that mean that our "older" units won't work? If so, would they switch them out at that time for free without a 3 year agreement since they are the ones who are switching the system?

On second thought - yeah right.

Marty
 

·
FAQ is your Friend
Joined
·
3,987 Posts
Works ONLY with verizon (since they provide the onstar network)

You must have the all digital equipment. If you dont have the all digital equip (and you probably dont), see the TSB library on how to get cadillac to upgrade you (Note: to upgrade you must sign up for a 3 year contract min $549)

Http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/

Reed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
I got the upgrade from analog to digital, and now have Verizon in my car and I love it. The digital hardware is a little more intelligent that the analog, and a little easier to use. Also it now displays the number you are dialing so you can visually confirm that the number is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Do you think you could post some pics of this new digital unit? I'm very interested in the differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Damn, wouldn't it have been nice if they'd opted to go with a standard GSM setup instead of using Verizon? Then we'd be able to use any of a half-dozen GSM providers.

Thankfully my car is dual-mode. I bought a block of minutes already. Very convenient having a nice 3-watt handsfree setup in the car for those days I forget my handset:)


Skeeter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
LV_V said:
Do you think you could post some pics of this new digital unit? I'm very interested in the differences.
I didn't install it, the dealer does it. Otherwise nothing appears differently. I suppose if you tell me where to look I could dig and FIND the unit and take a picture of it for you? Is it in the trunk or under the dash???
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
jteolis
Top