Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this! OnStar updated the myCadillac app today with 'Smart Driver' which I find highly intrusive - who the hell do they think they are! Outlined below is the description. Right now I'm on a free trial, guess what - WON'T be signing up. I know I don't have to sign up to this smart driver thing but I find it so intrusive and insulting. Heck my wife doesn't even give me 'info' about my driving. I'm a good driver and I don't need Onstar giving me a so called 'report card' like I'm in elementary school!

From the OnStar Website:

Who’s the fairest driver of them all? It could be you
But before claiming the title for yourself, find out how you really stack up with OnStar Smart Driver.*
Just like your past report cards in school, OnStar Smart Driver sends you a monthly report that gives your driving skills an overall grade. These reports aren’t only meant to be fridge-worthy — they can help you maximize vehicle performance, improve fuel efficiency and potentially earn insurance discounts. Here’s a preview of what you get from OnStar Smart Driver:
The report: Every month, an easy-to-read report summarizes your overall driving behavior such as hard braking and acceleration instances and high-speed driving.
The score: The better you drive, the higher your score. You can compete with yourself to improve your score from month to month, and see how you compare to other OnStar Members. You’ll also receive helpful tips for improving your score and becoming a smarter and safer driver overall.
The reward: You may also qualify for insurance discounts. This gives you access to savings opportunities based on your score without revealing your identity to participating insurance companies.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,713 Posts
Rant duly acknowledged. Did you know about this before you bought the car or before you gave permission for the app to load? as you said, you aren't obligated to sign up, so don't.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,691 Posts
Insurance companies have had this for over a decade. It's on an opt-in basis from them, too. Nothing new here - just new packaging and no OBD2 dongle to plug in to get the discount. A lot of customers use it. Progressive launched the idea back in 2008 and since then over 10 BILLION miles have been driven by users who have it.

And that's just Progressive.

Simple solution - opt out. 🤷

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I stated I know I don't have to opt in for that, I think I was clear on that in my post, and no I did not know about this - as I said it was just downloaded today (I've had the OnStar trial for a month now). But that is not the point is it.
This is not an insurance ob2 plug in, it is from OnStar....big difference there as OnStar is the one who will be big brother to you - giving you a monthly report card. I haav have read about insurance co. doing that on here, but for OnStar - come on. Progressive, heh, how about draconian in that lets say you get cut off and have to hit the brakes hard, well one notch stacked up against you without them taking into account the 'circumstances', accelerate off the ramp - well now you're hitting the gas too hard - another point stacked up against you. The list can go on,

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
993 Posts
a few years ago, we were able to lop $1k off our premium with an "accident overlook" for my wife, if she'd use the dongle for 30 or 60 days (I forget).

I also could log in and see every "incident" it reported, with an ongoing score.

Pretty much everything on the list was "sudden breaking event"--not surprisingly, all in the high school parking lot picking up and dropping off the kids!

:rolleyes:

hawk

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you hawk...all I can say is :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts