Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm driving home from work today listening to a CD and up ahead I see a couple of police cars have a late model midsize pickup pulled over. Suddenly as I get closer my CD stops playing, my average mileage display goes to -- --, the a/c compressor shuts off but not the fan and then the whole DIC display goes blank. A second or 2 later it comes back on for a couple of seconds and goes back out, comes back on and goes out again. As I go past the the 2 police cars on either side of this pickup, my display starts showing "Theftlockout" but the car keeps running fine. I pull on into the grocery store parking lot up the road, park, and shut off the car. When I restart everything is fine and I've had no repeats. I bet the cop cars swepted the pickup via Onstar to shut it down and mine picked up the signal as I went by. Anybody else ever experienced this?

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
no -- odd

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
I don't think onstar can do this. Police can now "shock" a car to disable it. It sounds as if the pickup was shocked and your car picked up some of it as well. If this was the case you're lucky that's all that happened.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
Sounds more like a battery problem to me.

-GT

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The OnStar monster is coming to kill us all right after the sky falls and space aliens take out the McDonalds ordering kiosk. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
sorry you're not getting much help -- it seems like the computer restarted... odd... u can probably get some help from onstar....

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently some police departments have transmitters that can access the Onstar system and disable a vehicle, so the story goes. Is it actually possible? Or is it fodder from several websites dedicated to this. Odd how it happened right there. I just got the car last week. It had a clean Carfax and was certified by Cadillac so supposedly everything is in perfect working order except for the brake light that was out and the low coolant warning that came on and needed the reservoir topped off. Good thing I've got the zero deductible warranty. So really, nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, ....................

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
OnStar service is an ordinary cell phone link. You have to know what the number is before it can be accessed. Even the police would have a hell of a time looking up the cell phone number starting from a license plate. This has all the earmarks of being a BS story concocted by the guys down at the local watering hole.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
Onstar can track your car by pinging it... they can't disable your car. Police wouldn't have something just to stop GM vehicles. If that were the case all the crooks would just buy Nissans. I've been in a vehicle before that was shocked to disable it. I got to see it demonstrated before we bought a unit. It's very cool.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
OnStar service is an ordinary cell phone link. You have to know what the number is before it can be accessed. Even the police would have a hell of a time looking up the cell phone number starting from a license plate. This has all the earmarks of being a BS story concocted by the guys down at the local watering hole.
Koz, license plate number typed in will bring up the VIN. Police call onstar and request the VIN information, etc. However, there has to be a verification process and a reason for any onstar rep to release private information. There have even been cases where a cell phone company wouldn't help triangulate a signal until warrants were issued in cases of missing persons. I do agree with you tho onstar isn't zapping anyone engine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, guys. Rather than just hear one person's doomsday scenerio, I thought I'd get some intelligent input. Sounds like another one of those conspiracy theories that pop up from time to time. Even thru the remote entry the number of codes is near infinite so it's pretty unlikely that could be triggered either.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Quick get out your aluminum foil hats!!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Don't believe everything you read on the internet, and also don't believe everything you hear on the news. Most reporters just read the stuff on the internet and then report it as fact. ;)

I can't even begin to tell you what is wrong with these theories about OnStar, black boxes, and big brother... oh man.

After the sky falls, then worry about OnStar torturing you for no reason.
Do you even have an active account?
If you don't, then please be aware that GM disables the units on vehicles that don't have an account. If that has been done, they couldn't contact your car if they wanted to.
Trust me.

·
Registered
'06 CTS 3.6L Sport Appearance pkg
155 Posts
I had a similar problem with the DIC. However, it had nothing to do with Onstar. My DIC locked up along with the Radio and climate control. I turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes, than it was fine. The next day it did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they swapped out the whole unit. It hasn't happened since. They said it had to do with the radio. I believe they said logic locked. It was kind of scary because the whole car started shutting down.

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the dealer this morning and talked with a service advisor and he suggested the same thing. There are 8 computers on board and any one of them could have glitched and caused the problem. Cycling the key would've reset the system. He said to watch it and see if it does it again and then bring it in if it does. I work with imbedded microprocessors and I know that all sorts of things can glitch them. It was an interesting theory but indeed is a bit far fetched, especially when the web sites are so adamant about it. One tip off to a hoax is the more convincing they sound and the more anecdotal evidence they provide the more likely it is to be false.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts

·
Registered
> BMUU