Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their CTS in for the onstar digital upgrade? If so, was it a major job in which the dealer kept the car for a couple of days. Or was it a couple of hours type of thing.
Thanks.....

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Took my service department a couple of hours.

I had notified them a couple of weeks earlier that I wanted to do the upgrade & they ordered the equipment. When it came in, we set up an appointment. Took a good book along & waited for completion.

·
Registered
cts?
187 Posts
are they getting rid of the antenna off the glass and putting it on the roof like the newer ones? or are the just changing something else? I like my onstar, but hate the antenna on the window.

·
Registered
2005 CTS Raven Black
73 Posts
Took it in and an hour and $215 later, I got it back. I can tell you this...the reception with digital is outstanding. Clear and distinct, with no crackling like I had with the analog.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Or you could just relocate the analog antenna inside the car like I did:

Then replace the long antenna with a shorty one:

Then mount a fake one on the roof, lol

·
Registered
cts?
187 Posts
Or you could just relocate the analog antenna inside the car like I did:

Then replace the long antenna with a shorty one:

Then mount a fake one on the roof, lol

Thanks for the idea, how is the reception when its inside the car? I really dont care about having one on top, i just wanted to get the antenna off my window.
Also you figure if i tint the windows with the antenna on the inside i will get good reception still?

·
Registered
'04 3.6L Cadillac CTS
39 Posts
If reception is the same on the interior. The result will be the same if the windows get tinted. It wouldn't be a line of sight problem.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS Luxury Black/Black
366 Posts
lol well that DEFFINATLY works for the mean time, does it flop around back there? what holds it in place? and what about in the future, are their adapters id need for when i upgrade to the antenna wiht the XM and the onstar/phone?

·
Registered
cts?
187 Posts
If reception is the same on the interior. The result will be the same if the windows get tinted. It wouldn't be a line of sight problem.
Reason i ask is because with car starters, if you don't place the antenna below your tint line you loose alot of distance (its been tested, and proven). I figured i might have the same effect, do you know for sure it doesn't effect it, or are you just making an assumption?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
That roof antenna installation would require removal of the headliner and drilling a hole in the roof.
The digital upgrade on CTS before '05 is a module and an updated digital antenna.
Not only do you have to install the antenna on the roof as mentioned but you'd have to run a new antenna cable, the smaller roof mounted antenna uses a different type of cable with a smaller connector.
That would involve removing the rear seat and the sail panels as well and routing the cable to the trunk.

Sure it could be done, but it will cost some money and take some time.
Lots of room for breaking or messing up fragile parts.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS Luxury Black/Black
366 Posts
Well im giong in sometime early next month to have the digital upgrade for the onstar on my 04. i might just talk to them when i drop it off.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok...So I have an 03 cts with the antenna on the outside rear window. I do not want to relocate the antenna or anything. I just want to upgrade my onstar to digital so that it will still be functional. Will the dealer have to install another antenna anywhere? and if so can they just remove my old one and place the new antenna in the same place as the old one?

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Ok...So I have an 03 cts with the antenna on the outside rear window. I do not want to relocate the antenna or anything. I just want to upgrade my onstar to digital so that it will still be functional. Will the dealer have to install another antenna anywhere? and if so can they just remove my old one and place the new antenna in the same place as the old one?
Not a problem - the current mount stays there & they screw in a new mast... That simple... :yup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts