Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So she's in for surgery today....will see if its successful....they are also checking the front power outlet which has been dead from day 1.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As of the end of the day..... the front power outlet had been fixed: that turned out to be a wire in the circuit that was too short and had never been properly connected to the fuse block. Took them most of the time today to disassemble stuff and trace the lines. The OnStar module has been replaced but the system had not been "reactivated"....that will come tomorrow morning, hopefully! More later.....

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So....its now mid-day and no call from Caddy saying "system reactivated , all is well "....so....im guessing what they have now found is what most of us already know: the antenna is bad and that will have to be ordered! Hope not....but suspect that is what I'm going to hear! :bigroll:

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...Its fixed!!! well so far anyway... got her back today and all is working perfectly! Module replacement worked....that being the case, I climbed up and took a close look at the antenna assembly....I see a good seal all the way around EXCEPT right at the back of the base....there is a maybe 1/16th gap!! figuring that this could be the next issue, I filled that spot with waterproof silicone sealant. We shall see how things go.......

·
Registered
2016 Escalade, 2015 SRX, 2017 XT5
100 Posts
I climbed up and took a close look at the antenna assembly....I see a good seal all the way around EXCEPT right at the back of the base....there is a maybe 1/16th gap!! figuring that this could be the next issue, I filled that spot with waterproof silicone sealant. We shall see how things go.......
I don't think you should have done that. ALL the antennas have that gap, and it is a drain. If you look at an antenna that has been removed from a vehicle, you will see that there is a secondary gasket in the middle of the antenna bottom that does the actual water sealing. With what you did, there will be no place for the condensation to drain, and it will fill the bottom area.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you should have done that. ALL the antennas have that gap, and it is a drain. If you look at an antenna that has been removed from a vehicle, you will see that there is a secondary gasket in the middle of the antenna bottom that does the actual water sealing. With what you did, there will be no place for the condensation to drain, and it will fill the bottom area.
Understand what you have said....however....the gap I am talking about is at the top of the antenna base, right below the curve of the roofline: in other words, it was obvious...any and all snow, water, etc. drains DOWN into the unit. I have NO gap or break or obvious drain slot in the seal at the bottom of the base.

----------

Took quite a while to reestablish the Onstar acct. settings re: wifi settings and passwords on the apps for the iPhone, iPad, etc.......Onstar agreed to extend trial period by one month. My dealer was very helpful, Onstar advisor was very helpful......all in all, was very satisfied with the process. Now we will see if it holds up! Previous poster was concerned about my filling the obvious slot on the antenna base gasket......a high pressure carwash would have pumped a lot of water in that slot ( which I took the vehicle to the day before it failed ) plus, any snow on the roof would have melted right down into there....so, I'm still betting that I have done more good than bad....I'll take that risk over having to have them remove the headliner to replace an antenna that has been ruined because of water leakage. If the slot had been on the DOWNSIDE of the base .....i could see his point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts