Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2004 CTS and I really hate how that stupid onstar antenna looks. Does anyone know if there is a nice smaller antenna that I could get? Is there something like the BMW's have on the roof?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You know i hate the look also, but i think were stuck with it.....i dunno why some cars have a no antenna system but were stuck with the ugly sticking out stuff

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Chevy & GMC trucks with On-Star have a small antenna on the front of the roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I still want to keep trying. If nothing else I will have them heat gun it off so I can tint the windows, and then at least when they put it back have them put it in the top center of the window. I mean they should have done that from the start

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just stay away from the full metallic tints. I used a partial metallic tint and the normal radio antenna and onstar still works. Has no effect on the XM at all. Not sure what the use for the GPS though. BTW, XM is the way to go!!!

Normal dye tints wont affect the antenna at all but they will fade, most semi metallic have a "lifetime" guarantee. Check with your installer.

If you are really anal and want to avoid metallics alltogether but want maximum tint life, there is a new 3M carbon based tint. Expensive - it does not have any metal at all. Got an estimate of $200-$225 for all the windows with that material.

Didn't want to spend that much so I stuck with the semi metallic and it works fine. No problems even with the tint all the way up to the top.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Lux Sport, 2004 Yukon Denali, 2013 XTS Platinum
17 Posts
The GPS antenna is mounted on the front windshield of '03 CTS's. I dont know where it is on '04 models. This is also true for the radio antenna (am/Fm) which is inside of the glass of the front windshield. the XM radio antennae is a "satellite" antennae and is mounted on the roof. It is larger because it requires more bandwidth in Megahertz which is relative to how much bandwidth is required in megabits for the digital audio service. If you look on the front windshield of your CTS. near your rear-view mirror you will see a plastic thumbsize type thingy mounted right at the top. This is the GPS antennae.

The Cell Antennae or "onstar" is mounted on the rear windshield. The metallic tint does not affect too greatly because of the high frequency of cellular telephone band (which goes through everything including your head). There is some attenuantion most definetly; however this is compensated for by the gain of your antennae (FCC regulates antennae gain) higher antennae gain the less power you need...this all comes down to how much radiation your cellphone or transmitting device puts out (this is calculated with transmitter power, connector, cable loss and antennae gain). If you get a nice high gain after market cell antennae you have nothing to worry about. Now to answer your last question...The Onstar system uses Good old "AMPS" Analog cellular service. They have a huge roaming agreement and therefore sign on to any analog cell provider in your area ATT and Verizon being the primary carriers of Analog cell service in the States. So the antennae is a plain analog 800Mhz/900Mhz/1900Mhz (and 800Mhz/1800Mhz GSM/GPRS in Europe not sure about canada) Cell phone antennae and Onstar is a glorified car phone (litterally) with minor modifications to it (this is the reason that they assign you a phone number when you activate onstar).

·
Registered
7 Posts
c5 rv said:
Chevy & GMC trucks with On-Star have a small antenna on the front of the roof.
-----------------------
You can use the "stubby" part of the roof mount unit from the GM SUVs but it does not work as well. I had to get the original out and reinstall it when I need to tak to onstar in a location out of town. I think you are stuck with the original unless you put the stubby on and keep the other handy just in case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
oceanhut said:
Would it be possible to swap the stock Onstar antenna with something similar to this: http://www.cellularoutlet.com/minglasmound.html or even this inside mounted antenna: http://www.cellularoutlet.com/lowprofsteal.html
I wonder if the masts have the same thread, then you could just replace that. Although it may be possible that the mast is tuned to work only with their box (the piece inside the glass). Note that on that new antenna, it requires the box to be mounted with the wire pointed DOWN, not to the side like on the CTS. that would look awful in the rear window if you used the same mounting position!

The other question, if you replaced the entire thing would be the thread size on the cable. If not the same, then you have to run the entire cable up to the head unit.

Paul

·
Banned
394 Posts
there are 2 companies that have a better looking glass mount antennas. (link in the middle of the thrreat)

will the bandwidth works with the 04 CTS onstar?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't the 2005's use a combo roof mounted onstar/XM unit?
My 2004 CTS has the glass mount for onstar (I don't have xm), but my 2005 SRX has a single, roof mounted short (2 inch mast with approx 1 inch base) unit similar to the full size pick-ups/suv's.

I know my SRX has as good reception (if not better) than my CTS with respect to onstar and the (analog - personal calling) hands free phone.
I don't know about a retrofit - but at least it is an OE approved part.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
My 2005 does not have any antenna on the back window. I only have a small antenna on the roof above the back window and I like the way it looks. I always assumed that it was a combo xm/onstar antenna since I did not notice any other antennas.

·
Banned
394 Posts
EIB19...

Since you have both car...could you test the swap for us if it's not any trouble.

The SRX does look alot better than the CTS.

Maybe its something you just change out the exterior mast...and leave the interior.

If you have to change the complete unit...check to see if the connector is the same.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
The best fix for the ugly antenna, and it's not a great one, is to adjust it down so it is parallel to the window. it looks a little better this way and does not affect its reception.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Wow, this old thread is revived.

The 2004 are the only cars that have the "wart" on the rear window. @005 have a combined XM/ onstart antenna on the rear of the roof.

Us 2004 cts-v guys are trying to figure out a way to use the 05 antenna on the 2004 v. See the sticky in the CTS-V forum called open modification issues. I may actually tackle this one soon.

Also, you can buy a flat antenna that will work instead of the "wart."

Here is all of the information you are looking for:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/onstarant.html

Reed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts