Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 97 Deville last Friday from sister. She doesnt remmber much about the onstar. it hard getting any more info on it period from her She bought it new in May 97
I just wonder if someone took it out I took off cover over trunk area by striker see a wire there unplugged looked closer it looks like a trailer plug with a blue wire rolled up amd taped to it
Also pulled back cloth like cover on passenger side of trunk and felt the metal box and a "fin" feeling box. unfortunately couldnt ge my head there. I bet that Onstar
oh well info on dispaky says "no handset" for phone
Where would the Onstar button be???
Explain more please. I did read some older threads
Thanks all
Jeanw

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am not really sure what you are asking but...

97 was a handset system. In order for OnStar to function you have to have the handset kit installed in the center console or otherwise attached in the front.
No handset = no OnStar.
Also know that after the 1st of the year all pre-02 analog equipment will be non-functional anyway.
Those systems had a rectangular box and a flask looking box as part of the system.

·
Registered
Cadillac deville 1997
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I had the handset it would work??? was it a specific brand handset?
where was it hooked up??? yes I understand you have to have Onstar service. But was it only Onstar or was it usuable as a reg cellphone???

Yeah I read in my Popular Ssience magazine, 2008 Onstar was going all digital
I used to have a mobile phone myself ran off the cig lighter But gave it away last year
course never had a Caddy before either
Had a 78 impala mostly garage kept till this past May. Its still running out there great mechnical shape and little rust
Sold it to a young guy for what I paid for it back in 1984..... I should have prob just fixed headliner and seat recovered and kept it.
thanks all

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Jean, your OnStar / Phone will not work after Dec 31 2007. Cellular companies have gotten the OK form the FCC to pull the plug on all analog equipment in their networks. When they do that OnStar equipment prior to 2004 will stop working unless it's upgraded and I think the upgrades are only available for 2002 and newer cars.

The OnStar system incorporated a cellular phone if ordered. I guess when you ordered the phone option you got the handset.

IN other words this is a mute point all together unless you want to invest the time and money to have the option for 3 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts