Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded a 2005 STS to dual mode Onstar?
This time, I have been talking with my dealer for over two months trying
to get an upgrade. OnStar tells me that an upgrade should not
be a problem, my dealer says they can't get the necessary
info from OnStar to do the job.
Cadillac promised an upgrade for my unreliable analog personal calling
in April, when that did not happen they promised to do it in Sept.
Still no upgrade.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am new here, so forgive me from dragging this up without having read back a great deal.

It's actually called an "OnStar Digital Upgrade".
The reason you need it is because next year most businesses that have anything to do with transmission of any kind of signal will be required to begin switching their networks to digital. Now while you may not think this is a big deal, I have heard in the wind that the FCC is going to start revoking analog licenses next year and most companies are not going to want to maintain and operate two types of networks, analog AND digital. Therefore you will find that an analog system will soon become obsolete. Sadly that leaves most of us with analog units that there are no upgrades offered for in the dark.

If it's available for your vehicle you can purchase an upgrade package.
GM should take care of the labor but you have to pay for a 3 year contract to make it worth OnStar's while to get you an upgrade. This starts at a meager 549 dollars and works it's way up from there depending on the level of service you want.

There is a form you must complete which is basically an agreement to pay the 3 year service fee when you pick your car up after the upgrade. Once the form is filled out the dealer then faxes it to Autocraft in the Dallas Texas area and they put together a kit and send it to the dealership. That process takes several business days. Once the kit is at the dealership you can take the car back and get the kit installed. Mostly this is just replacing the module and on an '05 STS should take only a short time. It's in the trunk and easy to get to.
The system has to be reconfigured by a technician and then they have to contact the Dealer center to activate your 3 year contract for service.
After 24 hours you get a new phone number for your car and your system is ready to go with personal calling (if you want it) and all the goodies.

I have a pdf copy of the form somewhere that I might be able to email to you.
I am new here and am not sure if my account is configured right to receive emails but you can try to email me if you want a copy. You can print it, fill it out (what you know) and take it with you to the dealership, that should speed up the order process.

Hope this info is helpful.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realized I should have said OnStar Digital Upgrade after I posted.
Both the service manager and I are aware that there is supposed to
be a procedure in place to upgrade. On the STS they claim that the
rear view mirror has to be changed. The replacement mirror does
not have a compass.
Regardless of the above I have been trying to get an upgrade
for several months. My dealer will not start the process until OnStar
tells them an upgrade is available.
So the question I would like answered is, has anyone actually be able
to get an OnStar upgrade for a 2005 STS.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I ordered a kit for an '05 STS last week. I'll see if I can let you know how long it takes to get one.
The bulletin does indicate that the inside mirror does have to be replaced on STS.
It might be a while before my STS customer comes back for his installation but if I find out the kit came in, I'll look through it and see what's inside.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ewill3rd said:
I ordered a kit for an '05 STS last week. I'll see if I can let you know how long it takes to get one.
The bulletin does indicate that the inside mirror does have to be replaced on STS.
It might be a while before my STS customer comes back for his installation but if I find out the kit came in, I'll look through it and see what's inside.
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in finding out if anyone can get a kit.
The Service Manager, at the dealer I use, supposedly has been trying to get kit information for a couple of months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I upgraded on my 05 sts last week. Drove home from the dealership and on the way home I go and press the blue button to get my number and the button won't work. I press the red button and tell them this is not an emergency and explain the upgrade. They send a test signal for 6 minutes and confirm it's not working correctly and suggest I bring it back for service.
I call the dealer and they order me a "second" new kit and now I wait.

BTW it was a digital upgrade cause when you press the phone button for dial the advisor says " say the entire number....etc...."

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Your personal calling won't be active for 24 hours after the installation and setup. The telephone number request has to trickle through the network and the red tape, then they download the number to your car.
After 24 hours you should be able to use the "my number" feature with no problem.
Just push the white dot button (or phone button depending on which button assembly you have) and then say "my number". It will read it back to you and it can display it depending on what kind of vehicle and equipment you have.

On the newer Gen 6 systems saying "dial" sets you up to say the entire number without stopping, then it will read the number back to you to verify and ask you "call, yes or no?".
If you like one number at a time don't say "dial", say "digit dial" and it will prompt you for the first number and then repeat each number back to you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
joehawkster said:
BTW it was a digital upgrade cause when you press the phone button for dial the advisor says " say the entire number....etc...."
Did you happen to try any other voice commands to see if the upgrade helped with the VC problems?

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
joehawkster said:
I upgraded on my 05 sts last week. Drove home from the dealership and on the way home I go and press the blue button to get my number and the button won't work. I press the red button and tell them this is not an emergency and explain the upgrade. They send a test signal for 6 minutes and confirm it's not working correctly and suggest I bring it back for service.
I call the dealer and they order me a "second" new kit and now I wait.

Did they replace your inside rear view mirror?
If so, does the replacement have a compass?
Thanks, Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did they replace your inside rear view mirror?
If so, does the replacement have a compass?
Thanks, Don

They replaced the enntire mirror. There is no compass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you happen to try any other voice commands to see if the upgrade helped with the VC problems?

I was so pi**ed off that I just paid $549 + tax and it would'nt work that I wanted to rip it off the mount. And yes if you ask units, redial etc.. they work but the little blue button.............:bomb:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If the one I order comes with no compass, I might call autocraft back and see why that is.
They might not give me an answer though.
Maybe the kit should come with one of those 99cent ones that floats in water and sticks to the windshield? :D

Okay, sorry... I'll look into it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ewill3rd said:
If the one I order comes with no compass, I might call autocraft back and see why that is.
They might not give me an answer though.
Maybe the kit should come with one of those 99cent ones that floats in water and sticks to the windshield? :D

Okay, sorry... I'll look into it when I get a chance.
I called autocraft and they acted surprised that the STS came with
more than one mirror. The service manager at my dealer is trying to find out
about the missing compass.
Does the 2006 STS have a mirror with a compass and dual mode OnStar?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The kit is here, I ordered it like last Thursday.
There is a mirror in there and it does not have a compass.
I don't know if my customer has a compass mirror or not.
I might look into it before he comes back for this installation.
I may also call autocraft myself.
Which PDF are you referring to? If you mean the form you have to fill out, it's available for download at www.aeorder.com.
I'll see if I can attach it to this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ewill3rd said:
The kit is here, I ordered it like last Thursday.
There is a mirror in there and it does not have a compass.
I don't know if my customer has a compass mirror or not.
I might look into it before he comes back for this installation.
I may also call autocraft myself.
Which PDF are you referring to? If you mean the form you have to fill out, it's available for download at www.aeorder.com.
I'll see if I can attach it to this post.
It appears that the 2006 STS can have a mirror with a compass and
digital OnStar. So why can't GM put the 2006 mirror on a 2005 STS?
Cadillac shafted us with the second rate analog OnStar, now if we upgrade
the OnStar we must downgrade our mirror and lose the compass.
I had several problems with my STS that were corrected. The Personal Calling
feature still has a lot of problems and has not been fixed. When I drive the
car and try to make a hands free phone call, I feel like I am all dressed up
but have a rock in my shoe.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I hate to say this but it's possible that Autocraft has never taken into account the possibility that some cars have a compass in the mirror and only assembled one kit.
I might see if I can inquire about it when I go to do this upgrade on my customers car. If I can find the number I might call them next week.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ewill3rd said:
I hate to say this but it's possible that Autocraft has never taken into account the possibility that some cars have a compass in the mirror and only assembled one kit.
I might see if I can inquire about it when I go to do this upgrade on my customers car. If I can find the number I might call them next week.
Autocraft 1-888-947-8100

1 - 20 of 20 Posts