Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning my wife and I drove the STS out to the Acoma Sky City Peublo, which is about 65 miles west of Albuquerque, in the middle of nowhere. We left the pueblo at about 1300, and about a mile down the road the check engine light came on and the car began to shutter. It then stalled. It would start for about 5 seconds, then stall again. Once I got it to go 50', and it stalled. It then refused to even turn over and made some pretty awful noises.

I had no cell signal, so I used OnStar to call for help. About 1 hour later the car was on a flat bed on its way back to Albuquerque. Once it arrived they put me in a rental car and said it would not be until Monday until they get around to diagnosing the problem. I'm not too pleased as the car only has 1900 miles on it.

I got to thinking that the STS is the 5th OnStar equipped vehicle I've owned over the last 8 years, and this was the first time I ever used it. I was so impressed with how well it worked I will probably renew it after the free year is up. They even gave me 30 courtesy phone minutes since I was inconvenienced.

My rental is an 07 Pontiac G8 GT, and I must say I'm surprised at how much I like it.

I hope this is not an omen of more trouble to follow! :mad:

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
As great a testimony to OnStar your story is, I don't think we'll be hearing about it in an OnStar commercial.

·
Registered
2007 STS AWD, 1SB, Nav, Chrome wheels and moonroof
161 Posts
excellent testimonial indeed. OnStar saved my honeymoon about 6 years ago (long story). Is your rental car a G6 maybe? I didn't think that the G8s were gonna be out until early next year.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
excellent testimonial indeed. OnStar saved my honeymoon about 6 years ago (long story). Is your rental car a G6 maybe? I didn't think that the G8s were gonna be out until early next year.
Yea--fat fingers. I meant G6.

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
Glad it was this year and not next. The reason you didn't have a cell signal is you cell is digital and there is no digital equipment out there. Onstar is analog, well at least for the rest of this year. I sure as hell hope they intend to expand the digital coverage. I carry a tri mode phone and often pick up an analog singal when all the digitals are dead.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad it was this year and not next. The reason you didn't have a cell signal is you cell is digital and there is no digital equipment out there. Onstar is analog, well at least for the rest of this year. I sure as hell hope they intend to expand the digital coverage. I carry a tri mode phone and often pick up an analog singal when all the digitals are dead.
My cell phone is a tri mode and will roam in analog. I could not pick up an analog signal on my cell either.

·
Registered
2006 STS V6
230 Posts
I think the OnStar is a full 3 watts where the cell is only .6 so it makes sense that it was able to connect. OnSatr saved my wife when the dog stepped on the door lock button and locked her out of the car on the way to the vet. True story I swear.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If GM hears you bragging so much about OnStar, I suspect they will read in-between the lines, and arrange for you to break down in remote areas multiple times. I can see the headlines now: Cadillac owner swears at, er by, Cadillac and OnStar. If asked about why they didn't describe your recurring car problems, they will likely say: No space available, or we cannot print all of the details, etc.

Just yanking your chain. GM produces good cars. (Someday I might be lucky enough to own one of the GOOD ones.)

No. I have been a very happy GM owner for years and years (Cad, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy). Never been stuck anywhere, and have never connected OnStar.

You will do well with your Caddy. Mine have all been great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts