Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after seeing the squires turbo system (the turbos are in the rear of the car) and having removed the exaust to replace the rear subframe i noticed all that space where the final mufflers reside. it got me wondering how the n* can handle boost. i am only dreaming around here but.............with all the talk of this engine needing to "stretch its legs" i thought it may well be able to handle it. how strong is the bottom end on a stock 4.6 ? just a thought.......dont flame me for thinking a little:stirpot:

·
Registered
858 Posts
You might check with some tuners about the project. I was advised the 10.5:1 compression prevents any forced induction.

·
Registered
SRX
142 Posts
john d said:
You might check with some tuners about the project. I was advised the 10.5:1 compression prevents any forced induction.
Absolutely! You need compression down around 8 - 8.5

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
Suggest looking at the XLR-V engine specs; seems that it is 4.2L N*; it is also a different block (ie, sand cast vs standard N* block) with bore reduced to provide more head gasket surface due to compression of blown intake and different oil galleries.
My late father tried over many years and many different engines ( prior to mid 1980s and no N*s) to add blowers; result was always the same: short term high performance, but lower ends always go in quick time. Just maybe the engine designers are smarter that we think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Larry05 said:
Absolutely! You need compression down around 8 - 8.5
We have turboed many cars with compression in the 10's and currently do a kit for the GM V6 3.6 used in the CTS, which has a compression ratio of 10.2:1 in the version sold in Australia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts